Phoenix Rising Reprise 12
Panam, "I do not know if I miss the old 'V' or not." 'V', "I am still the 'V' you came to know, just my outlook and priorities have changed. Becoming an Aldecaldo set the stage, adding my outputs, primed me for the changes that needed to happen, and adopting Timmy brought it all home to me. 'Home' is the key word to everything I have wanted, everything I have needed, I just could not see clearly through the past and the pain. You and the rest of this clan helped me start seeing past all of that, helped me to begin to see what I really needed. So that when the 'merry-go-round' came back for another revolution, I was able to grab the 'Golden Ring'." Panam, "Merry-go-round? Golden Ring'?" 'V', One day I will have to tell you the stories my mother told me just as I was drifting off to sleep. I would dream of the wooden horses moving up and down on their poles as the wooden deck went round and round. The carnival music playing loud enough to be heard across the festival. And the other kids sitting on their horses, laughing, screaming. And those on the outside ring of horses would reach out as they passed by the 'Golden Ring', for if they were lucky enough to grab it, at the end they could turn it in for a prize. And my 'prize' is 'home' and 'family'." Then she draws Panam into a hug. Panam doesn't know what to think for a second, then she feels tears drop down on her shoulders. Then she thinks, 'This is the real 'V', the one that has been bottled up inside since she was a child, and now she is finally free to begin living life, and we made this possible.' Baron Samedi reaches out through the physical contact to speak to Panam.
Baron Samedi, "I and all of the Lwa who have found a 'home' within 'V' wish to give unto you and your clan our profound thanks. We saw what was happening when we came to her, but we were unable to help her in the way she needed. You and your people did this, found a way to open the gates to her past. So that she could heal from the pain she has suffered for so long. It began with Song So Mi, their love forged in the very fires of Hell, then with Judy, theirs forged in loss and pain, and Rita, with Rita it was fear, fear concealed by anger and rage. And then Timmy, Timmy cracked open the 'gates' when he asked her if she wanted him. And now this clan has accepted her as one of them, and that has thrown the 'gates' open wide. Now we can help her heal, for one day, she will become one of us, the 'Lwa'. Our 'father' is Papa Legba, and he has been the only parent we have ever had. Now when she chooses her 'name', we will have a 'mother' as well as a 'father'. The family of the 'Lwa' will then be whole and 'balanced'. Thank you, Panam Palmer of the Aldecaldo's, we will forever be in debt to you and your clan." Baron Samedi retreats back into 'V', and they hear Saul call out her name. Panam, "You need to get out there and take your 'bow', tomorrow is a new day, with its own problems and troubles. But today, today is yours, and you have earned it. Go on, scoot."
'V' walks out and as soon as the crowd sees her, there is applause, as she walks through, they shake her hand, clap her on the shoulder and back. When she reaches the back of the truck where Saul waits for her, a huge smile on his face, he reaches a hand down to her. She takes it and lifts herself into the back, next to him. Saul, "The last time we stood here like this before the family, I gave you your jacket, and declared you to be one of us. Since then you have done nothing but prove to us that you are one of us, time and time again. Many if not all here owe you their lives, for the things you have done. And not once did you think about yourself, but rather you thought about the family. And now, this day, you put it all on the line once more for us. Would you like to have a few words?"
'V', "Thank you, Saul. My family, perhaps you are the only true people who can understand just what those words mean to me. For you adopted me into your family, accepted me with open arms, and so there is nothing within my power that I would not do to help and guide this family on the path to being the greatest family, of the greatest clan, of the greatest nation of all who call themselves Nomads. For now, we have a reprieve from the trouble that stalks this country. But make no mistake it comes and we need to be ready. But also understand that we are not without allies, not without resources, and not without guidance. I am sure you know by now that I am also the Chief of Security Operations for Night City, and the surrounding areas that border it. I have no divided loyalties here, for we all want the same thing. Freedom, to live our lives the way we see fit.
I know there are financial issues that need to be addressed. And they will be, for there is opportunity coming. It has already started in Night City. There is a groundswell building, a tsunami that will sweep the Megacorps out of the city where they have held sway for far too long. And with that effort, will come prosperity and trade. Products and services will needed to be exported to everywhere there are those who will want them. And all at prices that the Megacorps cannot match. With better quality and life, people will once more go home at the end of the day with money in their pockets, Businesses will no longer drown in Corporate debt but instead will expand and hire people to work again. So how do we gain from all this? Simple really, we utilize what we know best, logistics. We will be the conduit by which all these products and services get from Night City across the borders and into the hands of the other clans and nations to carry them further, to every storefront, every business, every consumer that wants what we have to send their way. And all of us earn money on everything that passes through our hands."
The people look at each other, thinking and considering just what this could mean for them. And then the chant starts, "'V', 'V', 'V'.". when it dies down, she keeps going, "It will take all of us working together to make this happen. Because when it does, I can promise you there will be no limits on where we can go, what we can do. I know you have heard rumors and stories of another Corporate War coming." The crowd goes silent. "I can tell you that is no rumor, it is truth." A murmuring begins. "But I can tell you this, Mayor Perales of Night City and I agree, we do not want any part of it! We will stand ready to defend Night City and the Badlands from the forces involved in this war, but we will not join either side. Because first of all we will have kicked the Corps out of Night City and sent them packing. Second, we will have built up defenses to keep them away. Let them tear into each other, we will pick up the pieces when it is over, and build ourselves even stronger. And third, third is when it is all said and done, when things are finally going in the direction that Richard Night envisioned when he started Night City. When the rest of the world looks to Night City and walks with it. When some begin to wonder where our place in this new world will be. Then we will take our future into our own hands.
My Family, there is far more for us than we can imagine, we just need to shift our eyes and look for it. Where do we look for it?" 'V' points in to the sky. "Out there, beyond the stars we see, beyond even where the strongest telescopes can peer into. There lies the 'Far Stars'. I know you have heard of them in songs, sung by the light of the campfires. But I know they exist, I have been shown where they are. And I have seen the most magnificent city you could ever hope to lay eyes upon. And it waits for us. Us to bring the sounds of joy, of laughter, of life, to it. Those clans who do not roam will have a place there, and the rest of us. There will be shipyards there to build and repair our ships. Ships that we will sail out upon the solar winds, exploring, finding new sights to see, new people to meet and trade with. And how will we do this? How will we get there? The means already exists, Saul has seen it with his own eyes. Touched what it can do with his own hands. It was used to build the vehicle that he came back here in. And it did not take days, weeks, or months to build, but only a few hours. And as for the raw materials? We made that ourselves, out of the most plentiful materials just lying around. The garbage that sits, stinking up the air, polluting the ground and water. We have a way to convert it into something that can be used to make any nonliving thing, substance, material, even fully formed objects. The only limit is knowledge. If you know how it works, how it goes together, it can be built with this process.
I did not find or discover this, rather one who is a business partner to me knows and uses it. Those she learned it from, they built starships of immense size using it. They built an empire to span an entire galaxy using this process. I would not worry about meeting them, they live an unimaginable distance from us. Maybe one day we will meet them, and they will be our brothers and sisters, for she who is my partner in this endeavor, they consider her their guardian. They were almost extinct when she found them. A galactic empire, reduced to a single world and about to take the long walk into the deep night. She saved them, showed them how they could be even greater than they once were. And she proved her words with them. Now she has a mission here. One that will benefit us all. I will talk more about that later. For now, we have more than enough to ponder and decide what we will do for now."
Saul, "You really know how to 'WOW' them. But I must ask...?" "V' "Everything I said is true and if you feel the need, I can prove it to you." Saul, "No need, You have proven everything else you told me. You would not spin something like that if you could not prove it. It will take them a bit of time to digest it all, but hopefully we have enough time." 'V' "I think we do. But listen for a major news announcement that is soon to hit. I am starting a new 'News' channel, one that will go toe-to-toe with N54 News. I am tired of the Corporate propaganda that is constantly being spewed out. And strange as it may seem, I have hired Arif Iqbal to jump from N54 and come to my new channel to lead it. He at least has tried to maintain a balanced approach to his reporting. If not for his following they would have dropped him long ago. I am also acquainted with Bes Isis, if fact, she has noted me as a collaborator on the piece that she published that won a Pulitzer Prize. I traced that story across the entirety of Night City and all around the Badlands, ending up in Pacifica before I found the answer. And it shocked me to the core so deep, I left it as it was to continue what it was doing." Panam walks up, "All right, just what is this that you are building for me?" 'V' grins, "I am so glad you asked that, prepare to be blown out of your socks."
'V' pulls out her holophone and engages the hologram projector. An image of the sleek, curved shuttle/fighter forms above the phones screen. Mitch whistles low pitched, "Is that what I think it is?" 'V', Depends on what you think it is?" Panam, "Come on Mitch, give me your opinion." Mitch, "I can't really say, but it puts that Basilisk in the garbage heap." 'V', "In a lot more ways than one, I can tell you that." Mitch, "I want to say one of its parents is a space shuttle but I cannot say what it married." 'V', "Damn Mitch! You are so close, it isn't funny. But you are right about what it married." Mitch, "What did it marry to produce something like that?" 'V', "Its all right, the race that made the other parent died out hundreds of thousands of years ago. Seems they got locked into a stalemated war and went to absurd lengths to create a weapon to turn the tide of battle. It got loose and not only killed their adversaries, but themselves as well. A handful of their ships, and one last survivor is all that is left of them. The survivor is one of their 'Prophets', who as a class were considered insane." Panam, "Insane? Why for heaven's sake?"
'V', "The 'Tar-Ayim' were as war-like as they come. Their empire spanned across whole galaxies. And then the came upon a race that fought back. Few thought they could do it, but they had a huge advantage that the Tar-Ayim could not match." Mitch, "All right, tell me." 'V', "They had a very high birth rate. Under normal circumstances they used birth control to keep things in check. But with the war, they shoved it aside and used it as a weapon." Panam, "How did they do that?" 'V', "They could replenish their battle losses far faster than the Tar-Ayim could. It kept things even until they picked up the skills they needed to turn things in their favor." Panam, "What was the weapon that got loose and killed them all?" 'V', "A Chimera virus, a type of virus with a extraordinarily high mutation rate. It is thought that it mutated until it developed multi-vector transmission, an infection rate about as high as the moon, and a completely total mortality rate. For which we can be glad of." Panam, "For heaven's sake why?" Mitch, "Because it would burn itself out when it could find no victims to infect." 'V', "Precisely, and that is what it did, burned itself out.
There is a large gulf of space where there is no sentient life. But anyway, she had someone join up with her crew that turned out to know where there was four Tar-Ayim dreadnaughts, perfectly preserved, just sitting in a stationary orbit. She went after them, sneaked aboard, her son, Reaper, jacked in and entered the command codes to wake them and take control. They then just flew away with them." Mitch, "Somehow I just do not think it was that simple." 'V', "You would think not, but the people on the world the ships were orbiting were caught completely by surprise. They only knew they had been quiet and dormant for hundreds of thousands of years. They figured no one was alive who knew how to wake them up much less take control of them. She took off at full velocity and was gone in the blink of an eye. She took the design of the Dreadnaught and miniaturized it, then melded it with a shuttle so it could function as both. Then she reworked the interior, changing everything to utilize the tech she learned from the last Timelord of Gallifrey. She used the same power source that his Tardis uses, and so it allows the inside to be much bigger than the outside would lead someone to believe. She uses the same tech in the towers of her Krang, expanding the interior as much as needed to fit the situation. She developed an interface to translate our language into the Tar-Ayim language, so the pilot can use verbal commands to pilot it, or use physical tools if needed. So you see what it will look like."
As she looks out over the crowd still standing about, one pops the cap of a Brosef Ale and holds it out in 'V's direction. 'V', "And I hear a Brosef calling out to me. See you later." 'V' drops down and walks over to the group, and takes the outstretched ale as hands start clapping her on the back. Mitch, "You know Panam, it did not take long after meeting her that I came to like her, then appreciate her. Now, I do not know what this clan would do without her." Panam, "You and me both. She has seen something of what lies in her future and maybe ours as well. How, I do not know, but you can see the changes in her. When the Relic chip was eating away at her brain, she was doing all she could to keep herself together. Now look at her, confident does not even begin to describe her." Mitch, "She has a direction to go in, her bearings are set now. She knows who she is, what she wants, and what direction to go in to get it. But what is more important, is that she wants to bring us along with her, to a life we have only dreamed about having. I do not care who is guiding her, I see what it has done for her, and it could not happen to a more deserving person." Panam, "Amen, brother, amen."
The next few days are quiet, everything progressing along. The weekend is upon them and Rita is beside herself with 'V' going to the Pacifica Rave with her. 'V' walks up to Rita, and crooks a finger to her. Rita hurries to see if their may be a problem. Rita, "I hope we don't have a problem, do we?" 'V', "A little one but easily taken care of." Rita, "Whew, I thought it would be something serious. What is it anyway?" 'V', "We are going shopping." Rita, "Shopping? What for? We are well stocked up as far as I know." 'V', "For the Rave, darling one. I want every eye there on us the whole night!" Rita gasps, "You mean that? You really do mean that?" 'V', "Yes, So lets go." Rita, "Where?" 'V', "Where else, Jinguji." Rita, "Oh my god!" 'V', "Come on!"
'V' and Rita walk in. As soon as Zane sees her he comes around the counter and greets 'V'. Zane, "Valerie, it is so wonderful to see you again. How can I help you today?" Eyes turn to see who Zane is speaking to in such a familiar tone. A few recognize 'V' from the News channels and immediately move just a little closer to see what she is there to buy. Zane notices and outmaneuvers them, "Please come with me to the private showing room. You can be comfortable while you select whatever I can acquire for you." Rita whispers, "Private showing room? 'V', almost no one in this city gets a private invite here." 'V', "Then enjoy it, indulge yourself, my love. Money is no object today. Whatever you want, I will buy it, but I only ask one thing." Rita, "Name it!" 'V', "I want to pick out your outfit for the Rave." Rita, "Done. I trust you." 'V', "Zane, we are attending the Rave in Pacifica tomorrow night and we both need something sensuous, sexy, covers us, but hints at everything underneath." Zane considers 'V's request for a moment, "I have just the thing, any particular color you would like?" 'V', "Use your best judgment, I trust your choice." Zane, "Then I will not dare to disappoint. I will get a couple of the models ready to display and will be right back."
About five minutes pass and Zane comes back into the private viewing room. Zane, "Ok, I have a selection of items and colors for you to look at and decide if you would like to try them on. Cherise will be first. I have all the items to fit you both if you both want the same design." 'V', "Great, lets get this going before something happens." Zane, "Heaven's forbid! That last time." Rita, "What last time?" 'V', "I will tell you about that later. Zane, there is no reason to worry, our personal bodyguard units are about and they will put a stop to anything before it gets started." Zane, "Thank you, that eases my mind greatly. Cherise! Come in dear girl, show us the first selection." Cherise slips in and goes through the steps she has been taught in showing clothing to its best advantage. 'V' takes a long, knowing look as Cherise spins back and forth, stopping in various poses. she thinks to herself, 'this is going to be very difficult to choose if he is starting out with this.' The showing takes nearly two hours. when it finishes, 'V' thanks the girls who modeled the clothes for her and Rita. "Rita, what do you think? Picked out any favorites?" Rita, "I already know what I want, it is a question now of which one to wear to the Rave." 'V', "Oh that is easy, the one that draws every woman's eye to you and every man cannot think of anything but you wearing it." Zane, "She is absolutely right, if I may?" 'V', "Go ahead." Zane, "Ms. Rita, you would look stunning in any of them, but if you want to be the 'star' attraction at the Rave, I suggest this piece." And draws a translucent, filmy dress with an underlining of the same material. It is of a pale gold color with bright green accents. 'V', Rita?" Rita, "Yes?" 'V', "Go try it on dear." As Rita takes it and walks into the dressing area, Zane sees 'V' begin to fan herself to cool down from the heat building in her. He smiles to himself that he got it right with what he picked.
After they arrive home, So Mi and Judy are on 'pins and needles' to see what they bought. 'V' whispers in Rita's ear as she giggles, and then grins as she picks from hers and goes to change into it. Judy looks up and notices Rita not there. Judy, "Where is Rita?" 'V', "She will be back in a minute." So Mi picks up a really slinky, deep rose colored, dress. First she remarks on how light it feels, then how it moves as she twirls with it as she holds it up to her neck. As Rita walks sultrily into the bedroom, So Mi stops dead still as she looks at Rita. Judy feels something and looks up, catches Rita in her view and slowly whispers, "Oh...my...Rita is that you?!" Rita, "Who else would it be?" Judy, "I'm sorry," as she shakes her head, "it is just that you look so drop dead gorgeous. Where have you been hiding this part of you?" Rita looks to 'V', who answers, "She has been there all along, she just never had a reason to 'come out'. Yes, I definitely believe you should wear that to the Rave." Rita, "What are you going to wear?" 'V', "The one that So Mi is holding on to for dear life." So Mi 'wakes' up on hearing her name, "I am so sorry, I just got caught up in the moment." 'V' chuckles, "Don't worry, you going to get your turn." So Mi, "Wha...?" 'V', "I am going to take you shopping soon. And I am going to splurge on you. Nothing but the best for my 'mates'."
Preparing for the 'Rave' takes most of the afternoon, 'V' and Rita want this to go down in Pacifica history. And so under relentless pressure from Judy and So Mi, 'V' relents, especially when she realized there would be someone who would manage to scroll what was to happen and then post the raw footage. She knew Judy would do it the right way and make sure it would be edited to enhance it overall. Not to mention that she would be using the new tech to record both 'V's and Rita's emotions and reactions. 'V' figures if she is careful, she can take this to the very limits of sensuousness without crossing the line over into porn. That way she keeps a firm grip on her reputation while having a bit of fun with Rita. Then she thinks that sometime they are going to have to have a conversation about Rita's mother. She would like to know if there is some way to approach her, to explain what is now going on in her daughter's life, without taking the applecart and smashing it to bits.
They get there and Judy with So Mi set up their receiving equipment, the transmitters are under 'V's and Rita's hair, out of sight. The station crew are setting up their equipment. Then a fairly cute young woman looking to be in her mid-twenties walks up and introduces herself. Ash, "Hello, I'm Ash" as she sticks out her hand. 'V' clasps it and introduces herself, "Hi, I'm Valerie." Ash, "The new Security Chief under Mayor Perales?" 'V', "That's me." Ash looks her over, especially what she is wearing. Ash, "Well, I think we are safe from an NCPD raid at least." 'V' laughs, "As long as I am in charge, you will not have a problem from the NCPD. I will see to that." Ash, "That makes me feel better, but may I ask why?" 'V', "First because I like your station. Second, you play it straight on the air, unlike most if not all of the others. I know because I am familiar with a number of the items you have broadcast, and you are the only one to get close to the truth. I should know because I was involved with a number of them. You are a lot like Arif Iqbal, he tries to play it straight as well, if not for his following, the company would have canned him long ago."
Ash, "What was your favorite news item I put out over the air?" 'V', "Remember the item you did about the malfunctioning 'Mr. Stud' upgrade." Ash breaks out with a laugh, "Oh, yeah! I really had fun with that one, why?" 'V', "It was not long after I heard it, that I ran across a man who flagged me down asking for a ride to a ripperdoc while clutching his crotch. It was so bad, when I saw a group of school kids going across the street ahead of us, he cried out to plow through them." Ash, "Did you?" 'V' 'Hell, no. I knew where I was, and how to use the side streets to get him to a ripperdoc before his crotch went up in flames. I no sooner than got him into the parking lot when he ditched and half ran, half crawled his way into the ripperdoc. A few days later, he sent me some money for the trip. He got it fixed in time to avoid a complete removal. I gathered there was some damage, but I was not interested in the details. He has to be very lucky." Ash, "How come?" 'V', "To find the one merc in Night City who would take pity on him and drive him to a ripperdoc. And get him there before he had a meltdown." Ash almost bowls over laughing, "That has got to be the best ending to a story I have ever heard in my career in pirate radio. Any chance I could use it in my next broadcast?" 'V', "Sure, just keep my name out of it. I have a reputation to keep up, that kind of thing can follow you around for a long time." Ash, "I hear you there, no problem then. Hey, by the way, just why is Mayor Perales Security Chief here at a Rave sponsored by a pirate radio station?"
'V', points out Rita, "See her?" Ash, "Yeah, she looks like someone with the Mox at Lizzie's that I have seen from time to time." 'V', "She is, she is also one of my 'outputs'. Some time ago before we got together, she asked me to come here and meet her. It was her way to apologize for some antics she got involved in between me and another of my 'outputs'. Since we have been together, she has been wanting for the two of us to come back, so this time I thought to really make it memorable for her." Ash, "Can I ask how you are going to do that? It might be I can help, since I will be the DJ, for the both the Rave and the radio." 'V' thinks for a few seconds, "Possibly, I have something in mind for her that will 'rock' her world. I am going to keep it within limits, but I am going to stretch them as far as I can without crossing the line. If you want to comment on what you see going on, be my guest.
Just no names, please, or think up some pseudonym for us. Oh, and my other two 'outputs' will be scrolling this. We suspect when things get going someone will get the idea to do it and post it raw. One of my other 'outputs' is considered to be the best braindance editor in the city, she will edit it and when she is satisfied with it we will release it." Ash, "May I ask, why release it if it is going to be personal?" 'V', "Good question, we are trying out a totally new BD technology. It involves the recording of two emotive tracks from two different actors at the same time." Ash, "Wait, I understand in current BDs the tracks are recorded from each and then laid down one at a time, so you are saying you have found a way to do it at the same time?" 'V', "We have, and when it is recorded this way, well, it can be an experience beyond anything you have previously experienced. My 'output' that put this together, we tested it at Laguna Bend. She took me diving down to the flooded town, talked to me about what her life was like there as a child. I swear I could hear her memories in the background. And she could hear some of mine in reaction. She told me about the old church bells and how they had a weird atonal sound to them. I could hear them as she was talking to me about them. And I have never heard church bells in my life before that."
Ash, in awe, "Wow, that is truly something, and you are the only ones who have this tech?" 'V', Yes, and we are most definitely not selling it. We are going to form our own company around it. To let you know how serious we are, we bought Fourth Wall Studios. We did it to not only release our own stuff, but to remake their catalog and republish it using the new tech." Ash, "Aren't they the ones that did the execution of that mass murderer? The one that was crucified instead of the 'chair'?" 'V', "Yes, and that one is going to be the first to use the new tech. As to why, it is a bit personal. Have you seen it yet?" Ash, "No, I have been trying to get up the guts to do that." 'V', "I can understand, you see, I was the one who nailed him to that cross. He specifically asked me to do it. I almost turned and walked away when he asked, but I had come to understand why he wanted to do it this way. And I agreed with him. When the new BD comes out, people will be able to do more than just see me nail him to that cross. They will be able to take a peek into my mind, my thoughts about what I was doing, why I did it, why I stood there and watched him die. And for your information, I took no pleasure in it, but rather I felt the debt on his shoulders that he took upon himself to do this, and it was my way to help him bear it. It will be interesting to see if people can, by looking through my eyes as he was dying, to see that I was not alone in standing with him." Ash, "What do you mean?" 'V', "The BD shows me there alone, standing on one side, but I saw another, on the opposite side from me also standing and looking up at Stephenson." Ash, "Do you have any idea, who or what was standing opposite you?" 'V', "Yeah, I do, but until the entire story can come out, the story of the one who was standing with me, I will not name him. No one would believe me, not unless they knew everything. I know and understand all of this because I am the one to have lived it. Eventually I will put the story down, document everything in it. So people can understand what happened, even if none of us can understand why it happened." Ash, "That is some heavy stuff. I wish you luck, anything I can do to help, just ask." 'V', "Thanks, but just keep your eyes open and your ears to the ground. Listen for what is changing, here in Pacifica, in Night City, out in the Badlands. There are some horrible things coming our way, but we are getting ready to make our stand. And it is my hope that when we do, we all do it together."
Ash, "Horrible things? I can think of a few I have heard whispers and rumors about." 'V', "If one of them is concerning a Fifth Corporate War, they are true." Ash's face grows serious. Ash, "What can I tell my listeners?" 'V', "Tell them this, what I personally know about it is that it will begin between Arasaka and Militec. As to why, that I also know, but that is best kept under wraps for now." Ash, "Come on now, you really mean that?!" 'V', "If I told you, you would understand, but still the word would spread out there. I am not concerned about a panic among the people, but in alerting both sides of this situation that myself and the Mayor are aware of it. Well, it would make our preparations for it much more difficult, not to mention dangerous. We have a plan to deal with it, we just need to get it in place before Arasaka and Militec realize what we are doing.
We cannot stop it, there are too many factors we can do nothing about. But we can make certain that we are not drawn into it, and by we, I also mean those who live here in Pacifica, Dogtown, and the Badlands." Ash, "So you mean to somehow keep all of us out of this possible conflict?" 'V', "Yes, most definitely. How we are going to do it? Well the foundation is being laid as we speak. You will have heard rumors of a shakeup in the NCPD and in the Courts?" Ash, "You mean those were not just 'feel good' stories?" 'V', "No, I actually fired half the NCPD for corruption, then when they brought suit to get their jobs back. We maneuvered to get them combined into a class action suit, placed before a Judge we knew was corrupt and on the Corps payroll. We went to the Chief Justice of the Appeals Court, showed him what we had. To say he went livid is an understatement. He asked what he could do to help and we asked him to 'sit' with us in court as an observer.
This put so much pressure on the trial judge that he ended up 'running out the back door' before he ruled on the case. The Chief Justice took over and declared the case for us, so the fired officers are SOL for coming back. There was one, who I extended the offer to return, but only if he met certain conditions." Ash, "What were they?" 'V', "I told him to go home and confess what he had done to his family. Then to think about their reaction and if he truly wanted to come back. If so, to return, take a seat in the auditorium and wait until I sent for him. I took his 'Detective' badge and told him if he wanted it back, he had to impress the man I put him with that he was worth bringing back. As to who I put him with, he is not known to anyone around here, but I know he has trained people before and is considered to be among an elite group of 'mercs'. Ones you never hear anything about because of how good they are at their jobs. If he approves that officer coming back, then I will return his badge to him. But he has a tough road to follow to earn it." Ash, "You believe he be trusted again?" 'V', "If the man I have him with says he can, then I will believe him." Ash, "That is putting a lot on the say-so on one man." 'V', I realize how this must look to you. If I did not know him like I do, know his past, and the circumstances of his redemption. I would agree with your assessment. But what I know of him, says I could trust him with my son, and my outputs. They are my greatest treasures, and I would not put their safety in jeopardy in such a manner."
Ash, "You have a son?" 'V', "Yes, I recently adopted him after he lost his father to the Barghests." Ash, "Wait, you said Barghests?" 'V', "Yes, he is from Dogtown. How I met him is my business. Business that is not yet completed. But I witnessed his flight from some Barghests. I got to him first, saw to his safety, then spoke to the Barghests about his father. They made a dire mistake in thinking they could run roughshod over me." Ash, "What happened to them." 'V', "They are no longer in a position to return to duty, permanently." Ash, "You mean to say, you took care of a squad of Barghests?" 'V', "Where as they are tough, they forgot one very important thing." Ash, "What is that?" 'V', "No matter how tough you may be, there is someone out there tougher than you will ever be. They met that someone that day." Ash, "You?" 'V' nods her head. "And yes, I have met someone tougher than I am. And luckily for me she has taken me under her wing and is training me as she was trained. To give you an idea, when she was still in her homeland, she was considered the most deadly killer to ever walk their roads. And it was the Empress who ruled that land who made that claim.
Where she comes from is nowhere near here, perhaps one day before I leave, I will introduce you to her. If you could get her story, it would make your reputation for all time." Ash, "You are just going to leave here someday?" 'V', "When the person I just told you about is ready to go, her job done, I and mine are going with her. She says she needs people like me to help other places that are in trouble like we are. And I know that once the path Night City is on has been turned around and the foundation is there for the changes that it needs, then my time here is done. And it will be time to move on." Ash, "I want to talk to you some more later, right now I still have to finish getting this Rave ready." 'V', "Keep an eye out later, I think something is going to happen that will make a name for this 'Rave'." Ash, "What are you going to do?" 'V', "Just wait and see. You can comment however you like. My other two 'outputs' talked me into scrolling it. They said no one would believe it if there was no evidence. And I do not intend for it to cross the line over into porn, might get close, but not cross that line." Ash, "Thanks, that eases my mind a bit. Ok, I will keep an eye out."
'V' goes back to Rita, who is sitting in a chair, her legs folded under her. Rita, "There you are. Have a nice talk with Ash?" 'V', "Yes, she is just as I imagined her from listening to her on the radio. Have you seen the green bag I brought?" Rita, "Judy has it, I think. If not then So Mi will." 'V', "Thanks." Rita, "No problem, by the way, what is in there?" 'V' "Just some gifts for Erzulie." Rita, "Oh, ok." Then she looks at 'V' in a way she cannot fathom, "You intend to ask her to 'ride' you tonight? While you dance with me?" 'V', "How do you feel about it? I cannot tell looking at your face."
Rita, "I do hope Judy brought more than one scroller, she is going to need it once Erzulie gets going. I do not know if anyone has asked her to 'ride' them while they were here before. If not, things are going to get very interesting tonight." 'V', "How do you know..." Rita, "Of the Lwa and their habits. I have spent a lot of time down here, one hears things if you know how to listen. Where their people are, so they are as well. Even if the people do not remember them anymore, the Lwa remember. Treat them with respect, honor their wishes, and they will give unto you their blessings, which are definitely not a bad thing to have. They will even fight for you, protect you, speak to you in the quiet moments.
Their stories always have meanings within, valuable meanings. But be careful, there are the dark ones as well. You need to be strong to deal with them. They must respect you, or they will roll over you. Santeria is their outlet, much like Vodun, but can be very bloody if you know what I mean." 'V', "I know, and I will be careful." Rita, "Good, Papa Legba will intercede for you if you need to speak with them. He can keep them on the straight path." 'V', "What of Baron Samedi?" Rita, "He has already marked you as a part of his family. Only the most powerful of the dark ones, such as Chango, will attempt to sidestep him. Do not let them do that, for they would like nothing more than to draw you to them and turn you to their worship. Baron Samedi is a good friend to have on your side, remember that. I know you have that shrine to him outdoors. He prefers it that way. Also the offerings you give are from the heart and so far more valuable than those who only go through the motions." 'V', "You know quite a bit about them from what you have been listening for. What is it that drew you to them?" Rita, "I would rather not go into that here, it would undoubtedly spoil the mood, and I would not have that happen if I could." 'V', "I understand. If and when you are ready then I will make time for you, but only when you are ready."
Rita smiles at 'V', "Thank you, doll. You know I love you?" 'V' reaches a hand behind Rita's head and draws her into a slow, deep kiss. Judy, "Hey none of that yet, save it for the Rave." 'V' whispers to Rita, "Ignore her, we have plenty to share during the Rave. This is your special night, whatever you want is yours if I can give it to you." Rita smiles with a few tears gathering, "All I want from you is what you have already given to me, your time, your hugs, your kisses, and most of all your love. You do not know how much that means to me. Perhaps one day there will be something I will ask for, but for now I know it is not possible. Later it could be, but I can wait." 'V', "Very well, you know best, what you want and when. But I want another kiss since the last one was so rudely interrupted." Rita giggles as 'V' leans in for another kiss, this one Rita puts her whole effort into. Once they break, they stand and walk to the DJ's table to see what songs are in the night's lineup. As they approach Ash grins and gives then a thumbs up. Rita grins and holds on hard to 'V'. Ash points to a list on the table, "Put your choices on the list, then just before we start I will go through and make up tonight's line up. Rita and 'V' both add their choices to the list. 'V', "Come on, I need to make an offering before the Rave, share this with me?" Rita, "Yes, thank you."
'V' finds a grassy patch close to the beginning of the beach. She kneels and spreads her hands, running them through the blades of grass, faintly whispering words Baron Samedi taught her to create a temporary 'holy' place to make an offering. Once she is ready, she opens the green bag and places a small swiveling mirror in the grass, angling it so that the moonlight was reflected across the 'holy' patch. She then brings out a gold hairbrush and comb, laying them in the center of the moonlit grass, finally she brings out a bottle of perfume. As she sprinkles some over the brush and comb, the moonlight seems to bend and twist until a small ghostly figure forms in the grass. It touches the brush and comb, leaning down to smell the scent of the perfume. It turns and dances to a melody that is just on the edge of her hearing. Then she hears a voice speaking to her. Erzulie Freda, "I thank you, Valerie, for the gifts you so thoughtfully arranged. But even more, what will happen here, and your wanting me to share the experience is an even greater gift." She looks to Rita, "There is no need for sorrow, my daughter, your deepest heart's desire is known to me. As you have kept me in your heart, so will I this night share my heart with you. You will know my grace and through our 'sister' Valerie, you will be gifted with that which you want so dearly. This is not something we have done before, but we have sought instruction from those who have done so. We are prepared and ready. When the Rave is at its height, and your emotions are sending you into the deeps of yourself. Valerie will join you in a special place within you. There is where your dreams can be made reality. Agwé and myself will care for your bodies, while your minds are immersed within each other. May this seal the two of you together and let no one tear you apart or they face the greatest punishment. Now the Rave is beginning, show these people the love you share. Let them see what can be theirs if they will but come back to us." A cloud flows over the moon, and the light passes away, the shadows flow and 'V' makes a gesture with her hands and breathes across the grass as the shadows disperse, but Erzulie has left to await her chance to 'ride' 'V'. Rita puts a single finger across 'V's lips, then mouths, 'Later'. 'V' nods her head and rises, giving Rita a hand up. Arms around each others waist, they walk to the beginning strains of music coming from the speakers set up around the Rave area.
They make themselves comfortable on a couch, 'V' sitting with Rita leaning back into her arms. 'V' is gently, slowly running her hands along Rita's arms, sometimes cupping her face, and tracing her lips with a finger as Rita kisses and licks 'V's finger. Once in a while managing to draw it into her mouth. When this happens, 'V' feels a tightening down low, and a delicious shiver hits her spine. A low moan escapes her and Rita responds by trying to elicit even more, deeper responses. All in preparation for what is going to come when they are ready to dance for each other. The music digs deeper and deeper into both of them, blending into their awareness. Ash has been glancing toward them whenever she could, keeping the music going and her comments flowing. She finds a selection she thinks will get them started, not that they need anything to get them started from what she is seeing. But she is willing to adjust the song lineup to help them along.
She selects a slower song, one popular right now that has a message that will resonate with 'V' and Rita, who Ash now realizes are very deeply in love with each other. As she spins up the song, she wonders if she will ever find anyone to love her and she them as deep as these two do. As the song begins, Rita peels herself from 'V', and holds a hand out to her. So Mi nudges Judy to start things going. Judy had been monitoring their making out on the couch, using that time to tweak the settings, check signaling, make certain there were no glitches waiting to surface. She hooks herself into the stream and starts the scrolling as Rita leads 'V' up onto the low table.
Erzulie comes to the surface but lets these two start things on their own. It seems they need no prodding to begin as they begin a slow, swaying. Hands gently sliding on the slick fabric and what little skin showing. They do not seem to care as they can feel everything through the fabric. As Rita has her back to 'V', 'V's hands are sliding across Rita's midriff, with Rita's hands on top of 'V's, guiding them in a teasing fashion. 'V' begins kissing Rita's shoulders, moving in a line up her neck until she reaches her ear. Then she begins nibbling on it, which makes Rita melt against 'V's body. When Rita can regain control of herself, she gracefully turns to face 'V', then leans forward and places a kiss right between 'V's breasts. Even the fabric 'V' is wearing does not stop the sensation from slamming into her heart, raising the stakes of this game. Judy is monitoring the scrolling gear and sees the awesome gyrations of the signals. She wonders just what is being picked up and how is it going to manifest when all of this is written to a BD.
Erzulie has finished with the special place for these two lovers that she has formed deep in Rita's mind. Agwé has put his own touches in here, specifically to allow Rita's deepest dreams to cross over into reality. Rita and 'V' will never suspect what roles they are to play in this unfolding drama of power. Because it is power of one sort or another that drives everything that happens in all of the Realms, mortal and immortal, reality and dream, seen and unseen. For Rita's deepest desires and needs will be met tonight, and what direction it will take them in is yet to be fully understood. For there are yet more players to be shuffled to and fro on the board that is called 'Life'. Events in other stages that will make their presence felt in this one. And what that will do to the direction that this one takes. And it all begins with the deep desire of one woman to conceive a child. A child to serve many purposes of which hers are only a few. A child of two mothers, one of which is still far from her full potential. And so what will this child inherit from this one of its two mothers, along with what it will be given from the other. Then what will it become when in the fulness of time, it becomes the inheritor of both of their legacies.
While the song is playing, Ash makes a call on her holophone. Aurora, "Hi Ash, what's up?" Ash, "You need to get to the Rave, pronto. There is something happening here that you need to see." Aurora, "And what could it be that I need to see so badly? I mean I am about to get thrown out and banned from my third nightclub here." Ash, "Then get your sweet ass down here! I mean it. I have never seen anything like this before and I cannot say when it will stop. If you don't get here before it is over, when you find out you will kick yourself back to Atlanta, dearest." Aurora, "That impressive, huh." Ash, "Remember about that merc from Night City you told me about while you were in Atlanta? The one that pulled you from the crowd of 'Purple Dream' addicts." Aurora, "Please, do not remind me of that fiasco, but what about her?" Ash, "She is here at the Rave, dancing on a table with her 'output'." Aurora, "And that is supposed to interest me for some reason?" Ash, "The vibes coming off of them have captured everyone out here, and I mean everyone. They are just dancing and making out, no nudity, no obscene moves." Aurora, "Damn, you are taking all the fun out of my imagination." Ash, "Aurora, they do not need any of that, just what they are doing is more than enough. Hell, I can feel it myself. It is like a tsunami of emotion washing over me, rising higher with each wave. Something is going on here and I have no idea what. I talked to the one you met a bit ago, and she is ready to turn this city upside down." Aurora, "What do you mean? Tell me." Ash, "She first came out of nowhere, to take command of the mercs at the Afterlife, now she is Mayor Perales Chief of Security, she has already fired half of the NCPD, the corrupt half. And made a huge slice into the Courts. Somehow I think her next target is going to be the Megacorps. But for right now she is here, dancing on a table with her 'output', I think her 'output' is a bouncer at Lizzie's. The one with the baseball bat." Aurora, "The cute one? Damn I need to get down there and see just what is going on, see if there is room for me in there." Ash, "Don't know about that but who knows, you might get lucky." Aurora, "You talked me into it, I am on my way. If it is a bust I can come back here and get thrown out." Ash, "That's my girl, hurry. You want to be here before it peaks." Aurora, "Ash, you are breaking up! Ash! ASH?!"
Aurora looks at the door to 'Seventh Hell', axe in hand, "What the hell, I can come back another time." She turns and walks back to her car, opens the trunk and gently lays her 'axe' inside. Closing the lid, she thinks on Ash's holophone cutting out like it did, "Shit, better get down there and see what is going on, Ash may be in over her head." She starts up her car, pulls into an empty lane and floors it. Aurora, "All right Ash, I am on my way and this had better be good, I mean it. I mean, I could be getting thrown out and banned from the 'Seventh Hell'. Imagine that, me, being thrown out of and banned from 'Hell', who would ever have thought it." As Aurora is speeding down the highway, she does not notice the van staying well behind her, or the pale purple glow reflecting from every shiny surface inside.
Agwé, "Another player comes." Erzulie, "Who is it?" Agwé, "She who 'V' met in the place called Atlanta." Erzulie, "Good, we shall see what becomes of this." 'V' and Rita are totally oblivious to everyone else around them. Some are just standing, several others are dancing as well, but everyone is caught up in the 'vibes' rolling off of these two. Judy and So Mi feel it as well, but they are used to experiencing it and they can slip around it. Judy cannot believe the signaling paths, they are so strong she might even be able to split them up into still more separate emotive tracks. They hear tires screeching on the street bordering one side of the Rave area. Then they hear voices as Ash and another woman approach 'V' and Rita. Ash, "Here they are, can you feel that rolling off of them? I have never felt anything like it." Aurora, "I have met Rita several times at the door to Lizzies, but 'hot damn' I would never have thought to see her in something like this. But the other one, she looks like 'V', but somewhat different from when we met in Atlanta."
Comments
Post a Comment