Phoenix Rising Reprise 11

     They awake from their shared dream, not knowing what if any truth was seen in it. But now bound and determined to see it through on the chance that it was all true. 'V', "Come on, we still have a job to do, time to see it through. They climb the slope to the camp when they hear a mother yelling for her child. "Jonas, where are you. Come on out, it is ok, now." A figure strides to the mother and whispers in her ear. Then there is scream, "Hit! My boy was hit!? Take me to him! Now!" 'V's senses tell her what has happened, "Dakota, come on, a boy was hit by a stray bullet. If he is to live, we have to hurry." They reach the medical tent just as the mother can be heard. "What do you mean you cannot do any more!" Medic. "He needs surgery in a hospital. The bullet is too close to the femoral artery, if we nicked that he would bleed out in seconds. We cannot go in after the bullet because we cannot see where it is and how to approach it without further harm." 'V' steps in, "What is the prognosis here?" The mother looks to her, "Can you do something, you have saved others, can you save Jonas?" 'V', "I will do everything in my power to do just that. Now will someone tell me what is wrong that he is still here?"

     The medic tells her that, "Saul has previously imposed a travel ban, even to the Night City hospital because of increased Wraith presence between us and the city. I put a tourniquet to slow the blood loss but he will not make it to Night City even if we could travel." 'V', "Alright, tell me what you know of his wound." The medic goes over what they know and 'V' sets a plan in motion. She calls the guard Captain on her holophone. 'V', "Captain, I need your medic bag in the medical tent, we have a young boy hit by a stray round. We have to get it out, now, if he is to survive this." Captain, "On my way." A minute later, the Captain shows up with the medic bag. Medic, "What will a field medicine bag do, he needs surgery in a hospital." 'V', "How long since the tourniquet was put on?" Medic, "Five minutes, why?" 'V', "In ten minutes, loosen it one quarter of a turn. Medic, "But he will start bleeding again!" 'V', "Yes, but if you leave that leg with blood cut off, if I manage to get the bullet out, he could still lose the leg from blood loss. Captain, you are here, good." 'V' puts two tables together and rolls out the medic bag. The medic looks over it and gasps, "What kind of medic bag is this, half this stuff I have no idea what it is or what it does." 'V', "All the more reason to stand out of the way." She takes a small device with a viewscreen and places it on the boy's leg just above the bullet hole.

     A minute later it dings and 'V' reads the display. She immediately takes two syringes, fill them with specific drugs and enters them into the boys bloodstream. 'V', "We have some time now to go after that bullet." Medic, "But it is too close to cut to it without nicking the artery!" 'V', "That is why we are following the track it made going in. We will come up right behind it." She reaches for another tool, this one opens in a three way jaw, very long and slender. She swabs the area down with an antiseptic and anesthetic combo. Then sprays a lidocaine spray right into the wound. 'V', "Now he will not feel anything and will stay asleep. But just in case hold the leg still." The medic does as 'V' has instructed. 'V' carefully inserts the triple clamp until she can feel it barely touch the back of the bullet. Spreading the clamp, she pushes just a little, backs off and opens just a bit more. One more try and it slides over the end of the round. Gently she pulls it out, careful not to get into a hurry. Once it comes out, she lays it aside and grabs a syringe without a needle, but rather a long, firm tube, like a small straw. She then guides it down the bullet trail and once she again reaches bottom she squeezes out a drop, pulls back a half inch and does it again, and again until it is out. she them pushes the sides of the wound together from the inside coming out watching as the tissue glue holds the wound together like stitches. Once it is all closed she takes a patch of synthskin and applies it over the wound. 'V', "Ok, he is out of danger, watch for fever, redness indicating infection. After a few days, let him stir from his bed but stay quiet, no running, or exertion. If there are no adverse signs after a week he can go about a normal life."

     Jonas' mother, "Thank you so very much, I do not have a lot but I will repay you somehow." 'V', "You are Aldecaldo, as I am, you owe me nothing. This I would do for any member of this family and clan if they needed it and I can provide. As I have been taught, when help is needed, help will be offered. It is then up to you to accept or reject. When a life is at stake I do not stop to ask, I do what needs to be done. Your son, living to enjoy life one more day is payment enough for me." Her words are heard and spread all across the camp. When she walks out there are many hands outstretched to shake hers, many hands clapping her on the back. Nods and smiles as she passes by. They now know they can depend on her to help take care of the clan and family. That what has been said of her is truth and not mere words. She has proven in their hearts that she is an Aldecaldo. They make their way to the tent where Saul was when the attack started. Arif runs up to her, "You were astounding! I had no idea there were implants that could do what you made them do!" 'V'. "The ones you now have could do it if they were not hobbled." Arif, "What are you saying, hobbled. Who would do such a thing?" 'V', "The Corporations that make them. Do you realize they hold complete power over your implants, they can trace them, shut them down, read their activity log and so know how you have been using them. They know exactly who has what implants." Arif, "But doesn't that mean they know all about yours?" 'V', "They would if I still had them. I have a new kins of implant. One they cannot read, do not even know if I have any or not. And they are not hobbled." Arif, "What kind are you talking about?" 'V', "When you decide if you wish to join our company, I will answer that question. The information is too important, too deadly if the Megacorps find out you know, to give it to you without bodyguards." Arif, "I may not like it, but I can understand it. I will give you my decision soon."

     'V' and Dakota enter the tent to find Saul not there. 'V' sits and says, "We will wait for him." Dakota, "What you did back there for that little boy. That action has cemented your favor among the people of this clan and family. If you should choose to challenge Saul for leadership, you would win. I think that even Panam would step aside for you." 'V', "Be that as it may, I did not come here to challenge Saul. I do not want leadership of this family and clan. I have far more weighty things to consider now and in the future. But my part in this family and clan is important to me and I will do what I can and what I must to see it survive and thrive." Panam steps in and sits on 'V's opposite side from Dakota. Panam, "Saul was detained by Biotechnica. He will be here soon to finish this meeting. And thank you for what you did for Jonas and his mother. You showed what it means to be an Aldecaldo. Many are asking themselves if they would have done as you did." 'V', "I feel that they were all doing as I would and did do. They were all with me in my spirit as we defended this family and clan. I felt them with me as I did what I could with what was available to me at the time.

     The medic was right not to go against the travel ban Saul had previously put into place. The Wraiths were indeed between us and Night City, massed out there waiting for any to dare to attempt to enter the city. How many are still out there waiting, I have no idea. But I must assume there are still those tasked to stand there." Panam, "You would have risked Jonas' life to not cross Saul's edict?" 'V', "Did I do that, in any way, shape, or form?" Panam, "No, you are right, you did not. You did what you had to do to save his life." 'V' "And so I would do again, even if I only had the tools normally available here, I would still have saved his life. It would have taken more time, and I would have had to call upon the people to help, but it is within my skillset and knowledge to have done so.

     I used the 'Medic Bag' our troops carry with them. So that your medics and people could see it in action. Evaluate how its use could save even more Aldecaldo lives than what you currently have. Do you think that now that the medic and the people will not ask Saul to acquire some of them for the camp?" Panam, "They are already putting together a proposal to do just that." 'V', "Good, then we will see how all of this works out. But please understand, I cannot allow any of that equipment to find itself in Corporate hands. Some of it is beyond even what their hospitals have to use." Panam, "What would it cost us to acquire some of them?" 'V', Panam! After what you have seen me do, you have to ask that. I would not deny my family and clan access to them over money. I have much more than I need beginning to roll in from the projects that are now coming online. That money will be going back out to the people in the form of more goods and services, especially services. But even after my personal expenses, it will be more than enough to bankroll my projects. I could provide all the 'eddies' this family and clan could ever need, but would that be helpful to the growth of them?"  Panam, "No, I see your point. They are at their best, their proudest when they have worked hard for what they have and enjoy. I understand your position."

     Dakota, "She has learned much since her return from Atlanta. I think some of what she learned there has shown her that the grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence. Thus she came back home and began cleaning up her own home and not relying on what others have done with theirs." Panam, "I have not heard you say anything about what happened in Atlanta." "V', "Surprisingly enough, Atlanta is a microcosm of what is happening in Night City. There are things going on there, things that everybody sees but no one questions. Richard Night was right to keep Night City separate from the rest of the country. And so I intend to help Mayor Perales keep it that way." Panam, "Tell me of what you saw, help me understand what it was that caused you to come back. Not that I am not glad..." 'V', "I understand. You see the effects of the new drug cocktails that are being developed and distributed?" Panam nods her head. 'V', "Glitter is the latest and most addictive. but I have seen signs of another being developed in Dogtown, stronger, even more addictive, and worse, easier to make. But even that is not what frightens me."

     Dakota, "What is it about this stuff that truly frightens you?" 'V', "It is called 'Purple Dream', and it is not like anything you could ever have imagined. It is a totally new kind of experience, not a 'drug per se. But delivered by a chip, mounted on the back of the neck. Its wires reaching into the spinal cord. Someone diabolical controls it, and each one who receives it hands over control to that person, entity, I do not know. I do know it swept through Atlanta like a plague. There are gangs there, catching people not using it and forcibly implanting it. I saw what was going on, thought of my home, my friends, when this would come this far. It is not a dream, it is a psychotic nightmare. I have seen individuals suddenly look around themselves to find they are surrounded by a mob of citizens, their eyes glowing with the purple hue associated with it. A few managed to break out and run, most did not." Panam, "That is horrible to imagine." 'V', "I am not ashamed to say I turned and ran back home. You cannot fight a entire city if you do not know what you are fighting, or what the outcome will be. I will have to face that one day, and decide what should be done. But for now I am here, and the problems of Atlanta are far away from the problems here." Saul, "Indeed they are. Now I believe you were going to offer this clan and family an alternative to Biotechnica?" 'V', "Yes, I am." 'V; goes on for the next two hours going in to what she and Iriisii have set up, accomplished, and put into operation. She then goes into what the near term, and far term goals are. And then, then she goes into where she sees the Nomads fitting into all of this. Saul is riveted by the sheer scope of it all. And then by what it could mean for all the Nomad families, clans, and nations, with his family, clan, and nation leading the way.

     Saul, "This is far more than I could have dreamed much less expected. The sheer immensity of it, but I do have to agree, it speaks deep and eloquently to the Nomad beginnings and our 'way of life'. It takes that into a whole new existence that none of us expected we could go. But as you say, we must first set the stage here and now. I will need to see how you expect to produce all that you plan, and how we fit into the procurement and distribution. Once I can see it work with my own eyes, I can so tell the other clans and nations of this grand venture of yours, no, not yours, ours. For to make it work, all of us must be on board. All of us doing our part to make it a reality. And most of all, to be able to see it, feel it happening, becoming reality and not mere dreams."

     'V', "Do not discount 'dreams', for they are simply a different reality from this one, one just as real. But the realm of dreams is as a sounding board for what we do and experience here. It reflects our decisions and actions, and keeps a physical record of them even as we have long forgotten them. Learn from them what went on before, where they turned away from the direction they should have gone and be forewarned of what could happen again, then guard against it. The Lands and Worlds of Dream are a part of another dimension, one that we can bridge to in our sleep, when our waking minds are quiescent, and the deeper, inner mind is released to go where it will."

     Dakota, "Sister, you have 'dream walked' the paths of our Elders'? Sought their wisdom?" 'V', "Many are the paths that weave their ways through the Dream Lands. Only a few are those our Elders trod. I have sampled many different paths, and some have even answered me. What I have learned tells me of how far we have stepped away the 'balance' as it was known to our ancestors. To a one, they entreat that we return to those ways, the knowledge and wisdom that they knew. Would that we could, but I feel we are too far down the path we tread now. Instead we must find the way ahead that allows us to create a new path that is ours. A path to true greatness that others will look to and aspire to. A path that will lead us to the vision that we shared of what awaited us at the 'end'."

     Saul, "All this talk of visions, and paths, is fine as long as you can present me with concrete proof of what you can do." 'V', "You are right, let us be going." Dakota, "But if there are still Wraiths watching the roads, how do we get past them?" 'V' smiles, "The first example of what I and mine can do. 'Reaper?'" Reaper, "Yes, sister to my mother, how can I exist?" Saul is looking everywhere for where the voice is coming from. 'V', "Open a portal to the production facilities of the new company we have formed. Place us on the helipad, if you would." Reaper, "As you wish, aunt. Speak to me again if there is anything more that you need." Saul, "I will not ask about what he called you, it seems like it could be complicated." 'V', "It is, trust me, it is."

     Saul almost falls out of his chair as a portal forms inside the tent. 'V' walks up to it and says, "Come on, it will not hurt, I promise. You too Panam. You should see this as well." 'V' then walks through the portal, and appears on the rooftop AV pad of their initial production building. As Panam walks through and looks around the area, "I know this area. But this was not here when I came through last. It was all broken, unfinished." 'V', "That was how I was able to acquire this on the cheap. Hardly cost a thing to build this. Everyone involved in the sale was salivating at the construction money they thought they were going to make. Especially with all the cost overruns, delays, contrived material shortages, you know, the usual. I had this up and going in a week. Not one 'eddy' to a contractor." Saul, "You are shitting me. Not one 'eddy' paid out to build this? It should have cost hundreds of thousands at least!" 

     'V', "Estimates I am told placed it closer to a million. I paid cash in buying it, so there were no finance costs. You should have seen their reaction when I handed over the cred chip. You would have had to peel their jaws off of the floor, because I waited until they put the papers before me with the pen to sign them. Then I slid them into the garbage chute, except for the 'Bill of Sale'. I signed that and put the cred chip on top of it." Panam almost bowled over in laughter. When she regained her composure, "Oh, I needed that, thank you." Dakota was grinning from ear to ear, "It does my heart good to see those vultures get tripped up like that. Outstanding work, Sister, but then whatever job you did for me, you always did exactly what was wanted in the contract, to the letter and in the spirit of it as well." 'V', "Come, follow me. I see a shipment of raw material coming in. You can witness the whole process from start to finish. I will have something for you, Saul. To remember this day, I hope it meets with your expectations." Saul, "Then I look forward to seeing it." V' looks at the figure approaching, and grins as she recognizes So Mi.

     When she gets to them, 'V' cannot help herself but to wrap her arms around So Mi, and kiss her before introducing her. Dakota, discretely coughs at the shock on Saul's face. 'V', 'My apologies, I would like to introduce to you all, one of my 'outputs'. This is Song So Mi, So Mi, this is Saul, leader of the Aldecaldo clan currently out in the badlands." Saul bows to her, as she returns it formally. "Then there is Panam," Panam shakes her hand, and comments, "You never told me you had an 'Output'." 'V', "Yes, I did, I just never came right out and said it, you just missed the cues I left. And this is Dakota, I have mentioned her to you before." So Mi, "Indeed you have, it is an honor to meet you at last." Dakota takes So Mi's hands in hers and says, "I see great tragedies in your life, but even more greater triumphs, You are indeed worthy to be an 'Output' to my 'Sister'." So Mi returns, "I am indeed honored to be with her, we have been through the very fires of Hell together, each saving the life of the other. Through it all, the love we have was forged between us, and it is stronger than steel." Panam whispers, "Damn, I wish I could find someone like that."

     'V', "I am sure you will all be surprised to learn what we are using as base resources." Taking them over to where the dump truck is unloading. Panam, "My God, that smells just like, it is garbage!" 'V', Yes, it is. We have found a way to convert it into an alternate form, that we can in turn use to create practically anything so long as it is not living. We cannot use this process to create living tissue, but anything else is fair game. The smell will dissipate once it is converted. We are careful, intensely so, since this stuff once converted can be dangerous if mishandled." They watch as a small pool of something so black that it absorbs the light that strikes it. As the garbage bags are slowly fed into the shielded bowl. They watch as the bags begin sinking and the black pool grows larger. Saul, "Tell me if I am seeing this correctly, the garbage bags are being converted simply by being in contact with whatever that stuff was already in the bowl?" 'V', "Yes, we do not have to do anything but feed the garbage to it. It does all the rest." Panam, "But what is that stuff?" 'V', "The closest I can get to what it is, is a form of quantum particles. The very smallest, most basic building blocks of matter. It can assume any form of matter that you can think of. And it is done by the power of 'thought' itself.

     The race that developed this trained their own people to meld their minds to manipulate and direct this 'stuff' to create practically anything their civilization needed. From a basic chair or bed, to a full blown starship. As long as the one directing the building understood every nuance of what it takes to build it. We have made some changes using our technological understanding. We can use computers to store the data needed, then feed it to the one acting as the controller. And we make absolutely certain than our computer systems are not connected to Cyberspace. We have developed spray nozzles to direct the particles to the area we want to build up, the controller then directs the particles to the location where they are desired and instructed to convert into the specific metals, plastics, and anything else needed." 

     'V' goes over to a complicated semi-upright couch. She places herself in it, slips the helmet onto her head, then her hands into the connected gauntlets. So Mi starts up the system. and they see the beginning of the process. A black mist develops in a small area to start, and quickly becomes the beginning of tires. The frame then starts to take shape. Saul comments, "It is going to be some kind of vehicle but I cannot place the make at the moment." So Mi knows but is not saying. The process goes on picking up speed as more of the particles are being converted. Soon Saul can id it as one of the Quadra 66 models, but cannot get more specific. 'V' keeps at it, and it fleshes out even more. Saul, "I should know it but I cannot quite place it, which means it is a more rare type of Quadra." Soon it is done and the floodlights that were active during the building process, shine and reflect against the skin of the vehicle. 'V' unhooks herself from the couch and tosses Saul the keys. 'V', "You now possess the second of the Quadra 66 'Hoon' to drive the streets of Night City." Panam asks, "You have one?" 'V', "Yes, I do, this baby is armed and armored. Twin thirty caliber machine guns under the front, the outer skin is as tough as battleship plate. Top speed is around 160 KPH. It can be tweaked higher. I can introduce you to the garage I use. They are unmatched in their knowledge of what can be done to squeeze every ounce of performance from a machine. If our process can create one of these, and it is completely ready to hit the roads, there is nothing we cannot build as long as we can imagine it, and understand it."

     Saul, "This is completely unexpected, but excuse me that I must ask." 'V', "It is a gift, not a bribe. I would not put you in that situation. This is solid proof that I can do what I say I can do. If I can make a ready to drive vehicle of the caliber this vehicle is then if I say I can make a starship, you can believe that I can. And that when the time comes for me and mine to leave, I am prepared to take all of the Nomads with me. Out there in the 'Far Stars' region, my business partner and teacher, has started construction on a duplicate of her 'Timeless City'. I and my 'outputs' have spent time there, she compressed time for us to have been able to spend over twenty years in her Timeless City receiving instruction in the 'Way of Balance', while out here, only about five minutes were experienced. We had plenty of time to see what her city had to offer, and we still did not see everything. It is a place were wonders from all across the vast expanse of the Existences are there to be enjoyed, studied, understood. And when it is done there also is to be a fully functional stardock and shipyards attached. Then when those Nomads who wish are running the trade routes that they will establish. and others are out exploring the riches of experiences to be found, they will know in their hearts that 'home' awaits them when they feel the urge to return."

     Panam is seeing  a vision of what 'V' is speaking of flashing across her eyes. The immensity of it is humbling to her. The images of the beauty of this city sitting out among the stars leaves her speechless. Meanwhile 'V' is still talking to Saul, "It is not my intention to overrule your decision, but I could not stand by, knowing what I do of Biotechnica, knowing what they would in the end do to this clan, I could not let it go without saying anything. And I could not ask that you put aside this agreement unless there was a better offer on the table. Whatever you decide, I will accept and obey. But understand as I am Aldecaldo, I am also the Chief Security Officer of Night City, answerable directly to Mayor Perales. And it is our desire not to destroy the Megacorps, but to kick them out of Night City. They can relocate to wherever will have them, we care not. But they will not be welcome in Night City. I do not think it will be easy should you wish to separate the clan from them when this happens. They are very possessive of what they feel is theirs, and from their perspective, once you have an agreement you are theirs."

     Saul, "Why are you telling me all of this?" 'V', "You are the leader of the clan. In order to make the best decisions you can you must have as much pertinent information as you can acquire. Biotechnica is keeping you on a very short leash." Saul is beginning to bristle at this, "I know how you feel, but I have seen far too much evidence of what they do and what it does to the people involved. I do not want to see this happen to my family if there is another way. I have been among them for too long not to be able to see it. In fact, one of our new businesses that is coming on line as I speak, is to provide the small businesses, the ones that the Megacorps are gobbling up like sharks in a feeding frenzy, alternative financing. I buy up their debt from the Corporations using fronts and third parties, then restructure the debts to give the business owners the breathing space to make a decent living, even to expand if that is what they wish. I have seen what happens when they tighten the noose on these people. It always ends in bloodshed, sometimes it is the corpos who end up dead. Then once the corpos are completely done, they own the entire business, and the soul of the owner for the rest of their life, slaving away from dawn to dark just to pay the interest, never touching the principal. No matter what they offer you, be very careful what you accept, the cost is always more than is readily apparent to unknowing eyes, for they are masters at hiding their intentions within that mountain of paper."

     Dakota, "Saul, she speaks true. Would that as a Fixer I could make a difference, but they are far to savvy for me. I can sometimes chip away at the edges, but effect real change? No, I cannot, but the way 'V' is going about this, is perhaps the only way it could work. She wants to provide all that the people want and need, at better quality than they can get now from the Corps, and at a far better price as well. So the people can have something left at the end of the week or month, instead of the Corps trying to conspire to take even that little bit from them. And here you seem to want to tie the clans future to these...these rabid jackals. Please, Saul, listen to her, she has proven to the clan she is an Aldecaldo in her heart and soul. She only wants what is best for them, so that they do not find themselves the sacrificial lambs on the altars of Corporate greed." 

      'V', "Saul, it is worse than what Dakota is describing. I know you have heard the rumors of another Corporate War around the bend. It is no rumor, it is real and it is true. It will be between Arasaka and Militec. How do I know this? Because I went in to a business run by the Valentino's on a job given to me by the Padre. I found Militec vehicles, uniforms, weapons inside their garage. Searching the office, I found emails from Arasaka threatening the Valentinos' if they did not stop the violence between themselves and the NCPD. Their plans are for the Valentinos to use the stuff and stage a raid on a specifically chosen Arasaka facility. There would be loss of life during the raid. Arasaka is willing to sacrifice the lives of its own employees, to set up Militec to take the blame. And then they point the finger of retaliation at Militec, which will drag President Myers in, kicking and clawing. Militec is not stupid, they know this is coming, for this is not the first incident. Padre told me he had seen evidence of others as well. But as he put it, when I asked what he was going to do. He said, 'Nothing, this is not my game, not my board.' I said I could stay and dig for more, but he told me to get out, that the place was compromised now, and there was nothing more to be learned there. President Myers is in Night City, talking with Mayor Perales, trying to see if there is any way she can bring him in on her side." She can see the blood leaving his face, as he goes pale at the news. "So far I have been able to convince him that we should just stay out of it. Defend Night City and the lands around it if we have to, but to not get involved on either side. Think about it for a moment, when this war comes, which side is Biotechnica going to go with? You know they are not going to sit this out. They expect Arasaka to win and they will do whatever they have to in order to be on the winning side. But what is worse is that this a distraction for something far more devastating."

     Saul, "I am almost sorry to ask but what is it a distraction for?" 'V' sighs, "Tearing down the Blackwall and a full scale invasion by the upper level rogue AI's. One of the things my 'business partner' is here for is to stop it. Her people are currently shoring up the Blackwall, keeping it from degrading anymore. I first got my toes in this when I got involved with the Voodoo Boys, while on a job for a friend and myself as well. The shit went sideways and hit the proverbial fan. I lost a damn good friend and almost my own life as well. You know what it is like to hold a friend in your arms while their life is slipping away with the blood from their wounds. And then the Fixer who hired me and my friend, betrayed me, and put a bullet in my head. How I pulled through is no longer important, but I went and traced the information of the job back to the Voodoo Boys. It is an awakening experience to stand before the Blackwall and then cross over just to talk to an AI." So Mi comes up to her and wraps her arm around her, "Its ok, I am here for you now."

     'V' continues, "I won't  bore you with what was said, I am still not certain I understand it all. But with what I learned and what I had seen and been involved with on the streets, I pieced it all together. It has been a few years, yes. But what I plotted out from what I learned has come to be, every step I have been able to trace back and find an AI involved. Not every one wants this, some are fighting against it, while others are going around Cyberspace gobbling up smaller AIs, growing and evolving, trying to get big enough that they can survive when the Blackwall comes down. I know how it sounds, but there are too many data points leading back to various AIs. And then there are the 'Blue-Eyed Men' and yes, they exist. I have fought and killed some of the lower level ones, just recently. There are a few high level ones, scattered across the world, and a number of mysterious deaths when their trails put them in the vicinity. They are exceedingly dangerous, imagine you are on a plane, and suddenly every single one of your implants goes into overload. Your body is being fried from the inside. There are reports of several deaths on board jets that have occurred in just this fashion. The flight attendants were unable to put the fires out." Saul, "How..." 'V', "Think about it. The corporations design and build every implant, then we go out and install them into our bodies. Do you think they do not have the means to trace them, know each individual and what implants they have inside. That they have not installed back doors giving them control if they need them, ways to shut them down, disable them? It would be simplicity for an AI working through an agent to tap into a specific persons implants and overload them all at the same time." 

     Saul, "How can you shield yourself from that then?" 'V', Good question, is there a way, yes, there is. Organic implants, once installed they sync directly to your DNA and biometrics. They become a part of you, your body sees them as belonging to you, so there is no rejection. But more importantly, because the Megacorps have nothing to do with their manufacturing process, they have no inroads to hack into them. I know because I changed out all of mine for them. I am invisible to them as far as implant scans go. They do not see me. And they cannot be hacked by the Corporate implants, but the reverse is not the case. Mine can hack into theirs and control them. I will show you something. Please watch my eyes carefully, anytime someone uses those implants that need a connection to Cyberspace, you will see them glow 'blue'." 'V' activates her implants and causes everyone's holophone to ring. "I just placed a call to everyone's holophone, if the system could see and identify me my eyes would have turned bright blue."

Panam, "Amazing, they did not change color one bit." 'V', One way or another, we will survive what comes. I promise to make damn sure of that." So Mi quietly adds, "And I will be right beside you. Me, Judy, Rita, and Timmy, you will not face this alone. You showed me what lay at the end of our road and I intend that we see it together, no matter how long it takes."

     'V', "I will be at the camp tomorrow morning, before Biotechnica shows up. And I will not make a scene, whatever you decide." Saul, "I think I need to give this new car a 'shake down' cruise down the 101. Dakota, I can drop you off if you like?" Dakota looks to 'V', "You are going to be all right?" 'V', "Yeah, I will be fine once I get home." Dakota, "Take care Sister, You have shown me how much we need you." So Mi, "Do not worry, I will see she gets home safely. Come on, Judy is cooking up something special for you." 'V', "Judy...cooking..., are the fire extinguishers up to date?" So Mi chuckles, 'It is not that bad, she was talking earlier to her grandmother and said something about trying to cook for you. So she sent a recipe to her. Brendan is instructing her on how to prepare it." 'V', "Ok, now I know the kitchen is safe at least."

     'V' walks into the penthouse and the smell of dinner hits her like a freight train. She feels she has to see what is being cooked, the rumble in her stomach agrees with her on that. As she enters the kitchen area, she sees about four separate pots sitting on the stove with covers on them. She moves to lift one of the lids and gets her hand smacked. Judy, "It is not quite ready yet, so go get washed up for dinner. you have been out in the badlands and all that dust was attracted to you." 'V', "All right, I know when I am beaten." 'V' heads to her bath to run through a quick shower. When she gets to the bedroom door, Rita meets her, "Need any help?" 'V' considers for just a half second, "I have several pounds of badlands dust all over me and in some places it might be difficult to get it off, so what do you think?" Rita wrinkles her nose, "Yep, you definitely need some help, come on, in the shower, now! Come on, hop to it!" 'V' hops up and down like a rabbit, then the smack of Rita's hand palm can be heard connecting with 'V's rear. Judy from the kitchen, "All right, no horseplay, dinner is almost ready!" Rita, "Oooh, I like the sound of that." 'V' , "The slap on my rear cheek, or the dinner call?" Rita, "Both." 'V', "Later, shower first, then dinner. Afterwards will have take care of itself." Rita, "How about I flip a coin, 'heads', Judy and I take you to bed, 'tails', Judy and I take you to bed." 'V', "First dinner, second you are maneuvering for both of you to take me to bed, something is up. What is it?" Rita, "After bed, not before." 'V', "All right, all right, after bed, then the two of you spill it."

     The dinner is marvelous. When it is over there are no leftovers to be taken care of, and Judy is so proud of herself over this. Timmy is nodding off in his chair, so 'V' gently picks him up and puts him to bed. When she comes back out Judy has put the dirty dishes in the dishwasher and is heading straight for 'V'. When she reaches 'V' she turns 'V' around and pushes toward the bedroom. As they walk through the door Rita is already waiting for them. Rita pats the bed covers next to her, so 'V' changes into a simple one piece, long sleep shirt and climbs in with Judy right behind. Later as 'V' is drowsing but before falling asleep she asks what happened that it was felt to 'butter' her up like they did. Judy, "You know I talked to my grandmother earlier?" 'V', "Yes, and I have no problem with that at all. She is your grandmother and worries about you. So there was something more you two talked about and you think I might have an issue with it?" Rita, "You might as well just come out and say it. It will be better once it is out in the open." Judy sighs, "Grandmother wants to come for a visit." 'V', "That's nice, when does she want to come?" Judy, "You mean with all that is going on you do not mind if she comes to visit?" 'V', "If she really wants to come , wild horses could not stop her. Besides this is probably the best time for a while for her to come. Things are still in the early stages, later it could become a problem, in that she might be targeted if she is known to have a relationship with us, which she does as your grandmother. So tell her she is welcome whenever she wishes to come. I will even arrange for transport if she likes.

     Does she by any chance like Mexican food?" Judy, "Why?" 'V', "I think she and Mama Welles might get along. A Mexican home cooked meal would be very nice, besides Mama Welles is angling to try and get me to come over for dinner. since Jackie... it has gotten lonely for her. Now can I go to sleep? I have to go back out to the Aldecaldo camp in the morning." Judy, "I thought that was all done." 'V', "Saul has yet to announce his decision. I think he wants to do that when the Biotechnica delegation is there. Since I made him an alternative offer, I need to be there as well. To help keep things peaceful if he decides to go with Biotechnica, or to help him with any fallout if he decides to take my offer." Judy, "What if he decides to do neither?" 'V', "Then I will support him in his decision as best I can. That is my responsibility as an Aldecaldo, but I made sure to let him know that I am also Chief of Security Operations for Night City, and report directly to Mayor Perales. And in that position, He and I feel it is best to keep Night City neutral and not a part of any military action between Arasaka and Militec.

     We will see that Night City can defend itself and the surrounding area, but we will not join with either side. To help us facilitate that, our goal is to 'kick' them out. If he goes with Biotechnica it would be difficult to extricate the clan if we show Biotechnica and the others the 'door'." Judy, "What did he say about that?" 'V', "Nothing, he filed it away in his mind to weigh it with everything else." Rita, "How do you know it is Arasaka and Militec about to go at each other?" 'V', "I did a job for the Padre recently, had to go into a Valentino garage to check out a lead concerning a NCPD cop that was shot. There was a 'coverup' and Padre wanted to know who put up the coverup and why. I found the answer and it was not what it seemed on the surface. Arasaka sent an email threatening the Valentino to lay low where the cops are concerned, so as not to draw attention to the fact that the garage was full of Militec gear, weapons, uniforms, vehicles. Arasaka wanted them to strike an Arasaka site, kill some people, leave some gear behind to allow Arasaka to point the finger at Militec." Judy, "So that is why President Myers is here, trying to drum up support for the coming conflict. And maybe see if anyone here knows what is going on?"

'V', "Bingo." Judy, "And you have not said anything about it to President Myers, have you?" 'V', "Nope, not going to either. I spill what I know and that puts pressure on us to come onto her side in this. And that is in no way good for Night City, no matter how it turns out." Judy, "Agreed. Now go to sleep, you have a long day tomorrow."

     'V' leaves everyone asleep as she rises early and prepares herself. She clothes herself in traditional Nomad garb with her jacket, proudly displaying her status as a clan member. She then goes to each of the two shrines and meditates for a short bit. At Baron Samedi's shrine, she also asks that he keep watch over her family and keep them safe. She feels a sense of calmness, security, and senses the invisible presence of a ghostly guard dog prowling around the penthouse exterior, even as she also feels a 'Temple Guard Dog' watching over everyone inside. Knowing that 'hers' are now protected as best as they can be, she rises, thanking the spirits of the shrines, and leaves for the meeting at the Aldecaldo camp in the 'Badlands'.

     She arrives at the camp without a single sighting of a Wraith. Everyone is on 'pins and needles' for the meeting. Everyone knows it will determine the future path of this family and clan. They see 'V' and their anxiety calms noticeably. That she has shown up, gives them hope that what will ultimately happen will benefit them going forward. Mitch finds her before Panam even knows she is in camp. Mitch, "Ready for the fireworks?" 'V' "Let hope that it fizzles, shall we?" Mitch, "I can go for that. You must have knocked Saul's socks off with whatever you showed him yesterday. He has been closeted in his tent ever since he came back and not a word out of him. Not even when Panam went in to talk to him." 'V', "Any idea what she wanted to talk about?" Mitch, "You don't know?" 'V', "Whatever it was is entirely her idea. I did not suggest anything for her to do after getting back here." Mitch, "Probably a good thing. He hates someone trying to lead him around from the side. That is usually when he and Panam get into a fight."

     'V', "I just laid everything on the table. Demonstrated that I could do everything I said I could, that it was not bragging but rather fact." Mitch, "I take it that Quadra 66 he came back in was part of that proof?" 'V', "Yes, it was not a 'bribe' but a gift. One that he saw me make right before his eyes, before I tossed him the keys." Mitch whistles, "Damn but you really know how to negotiate. That is one sweet piece of work! I had heard they exist but never seen one before." 'V', "I think he and I are now the only people in Night City and the Badlands that own one. And there is a little something else I have had put on them that I will have to instruct him how to use." Mitch, "What is that? You tucked a cannon away somewhere in that beast?" 'V', "No, but it can double as a personal AV." Mitch, "You gotta be shittin' me! An AV?" 'V', "Yep, I tried it out on my own before putting it on his. It can really get you out of a tight spot. And in the air, you can outrun anything on the ground, no sweat."

     Panam's voice comes from behind Mitch, "You...gave...Saul...a...personal...AV? And you did not think to make me one? I see how I am thought of around here." 'V', "Give it some time, Panam. What I have in mind for you is still in the planning stages. I have a lot more obstacles to get around on yours." Panam, "Oh and what did you have in mind for me, one that doubles as a submarine, maybe?" 'V', "No, one that can be your own personal space shuttle/fighter. Packing an engine and fuel supply into something that small is not an easy task. And I will not do this kind of job half-baked." Panam, "Did you just say my own personal space shuttle/fighter?' 'V', Yes, so you can see, I did not leave you out." Panam, "Are you sure you are not just saying that to get back on my good side?"      

    'V', "Panam, ok, I will get a progress report and see if there is at least enough of the hull together that you can see what it will look like. 'Reaper?'" Reaper, "Yes Aunt?" 'V', "Status report on project P3, if you would?" Reaper, "We have managed to solve the engine issue by making some fundamental changes in how it operates. It should be a large improvement over the previous design. Now we are looking into the power source for the new engine." 'V', "Understood, how does that affect the hull design?" 'V', "Hull design changes have been completed, it is looking far more sleeker that originally. And if I may say, more in keeping with the inspiration for it." 'V', "Impressive, I must say, can you send a 3D hologram to my holophone?" Reaper, "Sending hologram now." 'V', "Hologram received, thank you." Reaper, "Thank you, Aunt, Mother is so impressed by the design and capabilities that she is ordering a large number of them to be assigned among the fleet. This new design is garnering you quite the reputation among the Fleet crew." 'V', "Well, we shall have to see how it comes together when it is done. 'V' out."

     'V' opens her holophone and projects the 3D image above the screen for Panam to see. She looks to see her eyes wide, and her mouth open and speechless. Mitch, taking it in stride, comments, "I have never thought to ever see Panam speechless over anything. Someone mark this day on the calendar!" The image is based on the Tar-Ayim dreadnaughts that Iriisii has in her fleet. But because of the size, some aesthetic changes as well as utilitarian ones had to be implemented. The result however came out that if anything, no one will mistake these craft as anything but extremely deadly, and as beautiful, with its sweeping lines and curves, as it is deadly. 'V', "This is where we are at right now. We may still have to make changes, but they should be minor at this point." Panam, "This is what you are building for me?" 'V', "Is there something you want changed?" Panam, "Hell no! Don't change anything you do not have to! It is just, damn perfect as it is. Will it..." 'V', "Be armed? Yes it will. We have miniaturized and utilized technology that no one else has or could even imagine. You will not believe what it will feel like to step into that thing. I know what we will likely use as a power source and it will make such a difference in what we can do with it." Panam, "I do not know what to say!" 'V', "Hold that thought for later, Biotechnica has showed up."

     Panam, "Come on, maybe Saul will let us stand by and watch." Mitch, "Good luck and give them 'hell'." 'V', "If they mean to start something, you can count on it." Panam and 'V' walk to the tent where the meeting is to take place. The guard at the flap motions for them to continue inside, "Saul said to allow you two in, no one else." 'V', "Thanks." Guard, "We are all of us behind you, good luck." 'V', "No pressure." As Panam grins. They slip inside and take a seat to the side. The 'suits' notice 'V' and immediately question Saul as to her being in the meeting. "Biotechnica suits, "She is the Chief Security Officer for Night City, What is her business being here?" Saul, "She is also an Aldecaldo, as is evidenced by the clan jacket she wears. I gave it to her myself in recognition for the services she has done for this clan. She has proven herself to be an Aldecaldo time and time again. Many are the people of this clan and family that owe their lives to her. Now you have an offer to put before me?"

     One of the junior suits opens a large briefcase, draws out a fair sized stack of papers and places them in front of Saul. Then he opens the stack to the first page that needs to be signed and places a pen next to the stack. Saul glances toward 'V' who keeps the calm composure on her face that she entered in with. Saul, "First I want you to review for me the terms of the contract." Biotechnica suit, "We have been over this already, there should be no need but to sign as agreed." Saul, "And yet I feel there may be things in here that I did not agree to that somehow made their way into the wording. I am not signing until I am certain of the exact terms, and what they mean to me and my family." Saul glances toward 'V', who seeing no Suits eyes on her, she nods her head to Saul, acknowledging her approval of what he is doing. The suit starts going through the list as Saul follows in the contract wording, pausing now and then to make notes. As it drones onward, Panam grows nervous, and 'V' reaches into her 'Balance' training keep herself calm, and by doing that help Panam to calm herself.

     When they finally reach the end, the Suit asks if he is now ready to sign. Saul, places his notes on top of the contract, "When you make certain to my satisfaction that the words of the notes I made are accurately reflected in this contract, then I will decide if I should sign." The Suit looks at him like he should be scraped off of his shoes. Saul, "You have paper after paper of words, while I have had a counter offer to yours. The person making that counter offer has proven to me that they can do what they have offered to me to do. They have proven to my eyes, my touch, that what they have said to me is the truth and is not intended to entrap me and my family. They have stood by me and allowed me to make up my own mind whether I go with them or with you. And they will accept my decision, whichever way it goes."

     Suit, "This is no longer negotiable. This is the contract you will sign or face the consequences." Saul, "Then all you have said to me is lies and garbage. You can take the paper of your contract and wipe your asses with it the next time you take a dump." The Suits gather everything and heads for the tent flap. As they pass through, the last one turns and says, This is not over, you will hear from us again and then it will not be so favorable." 'V' gestures to Saul to speak and he allows it. 'V', "I am afraid gentlemen that you are sadly misinformed as to your chances of doing what you have just stated. As of one hour ago, the package of laws that were passed during previous administrations allowing you so much latitude in your dealings with others, such that you could practically ask for the moon in court and receive it has been officially rescinded. You will for all practical purposes no longer receive special treatment in the Night City courts, you will be the same as any other who walks into a courtroom, you will have to prove your case and not have it given to you on a golden platter." The suit's face goes white as a snowstorm as he hurries back to their vehicle to contact the office and find out if 'V's words are true. Saul, "Is what you just said the truth?" 'V', "Yes, it is. I would never say anything like that to corporate suits if it wasn't. The retribution from them is not worth it. Much better to be able to say it and know it is the truth. Let them worry about the consequences."

     Saul, "I think I really like you, better for them to go around looking over their shoulders for you than the reverse." 'V', "In that we completely agree." Saul, "Wait in here for a few, let me get the crowd up and then I will call for you. Let the clan see its savior." 'V', "I am no one's savior, you just needed a reason to move in the direction you were already turning toward. I gave you that reason, but you did the hard work yourself. You knew everything that was in that contract before they put it in front of  you. You already knew they were lying through their teeth. But then, they are corpos who the corporation modified their genetics when they impregnated their mothers. They were born liars." Saul, "What about me, then." 'V', "You are not a liar. You just sometimes get bogged down in the minutia of the moment. But when push comes to shove, you can pull you head above water and breathe instead of drown. That is why you have lasted as long as you have, and will last a while longer. I am not the one you need to fear. My vision is tuned to the much longer view. My time here is short, and getting shorter. There is still a lot left for me to do before I can go." Saul, "What changed you from  the merc who wanted to be a legend to I do not know who or what you are now?" 'V', "You made me an Aldecaldo, gave me a family to replace the one I lost years ago as a child. Now I want to give my family a home and a life they would otherwise never know or experience. To paraphrase something I heard long years ago, 'when I was a child, I thought as a child thinks, felt as a child feels. Now I am a mother, and I think as a mother thinks, feels as a mother feels'. No I am not pregnant, I adopted a young boy as my son, just a few days ago, and now I will never think or feel as I did before." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Returning Home 4

Broken People Part Five

New Excerpt