Phoenix Rising Reprise 10
'V' walks out into the main area, looking for everyone. "V' shouts, "RITA!" A voice from the upper deck can be heard, "Coming!" As Rita shows up, "What do you need?" 'V', "We have dinner with the Mayor and Elizabeth in an hour, 'and' we have to pick up ice cream on the way. You and Judy, get ready, 'now'." Rita, "Yes, mother." 'V', "I know how you mean that so I will ignore it, but we still have company here and he may not understand." Rita, "Oops, sorry, I will watch closer for who is in hearing range before saying anything like that again." 'V', "Thank you, just remember where you are, you are at home with your family, not guarding the door to Lizzie's. And FYI, the deal is in the works. So be careful what you say and who you say it to when you are working. At least until it is all signed. Some may not understand what is going on and get upset over the coming change." Rita, "I understand, but it is a lot better outcome than otherwise. Pooh on them if they cannot see it. I mean the 'grapevine' has been working overtime speculating on what is happening and Suzie is saying nothing per her usual self."
'V', "I anticipated this, but still, do not get involved in it. If you feel it is needed, tell me what is being said and I will speak to Suzie, just do not get yourself involved, some will no doubt misunderstand your intentions and that could cause trouble. Trouble Lizzie's does not need right now." Judy, "Rita, listen to her, she knows what she is doing. And you were the one to bring it to her attention in the first place. She saw the need and she is addressing it, so be patient and everything will work out." Rita, "You are both right, thank you for what you are doing to help us." 'V', "Good, that is settled, now off to the shower and get dressed. Remember we have a date for the 'rave' this weekend." Rita perks up, excited at hearing that. Rita, "That's right, we do. Judy, no scrolling, this is just for us, well maybe a little for everyone else, but you know what I mean." Judy, "Yes, I know, now hurry up and don't use all the hot water, leave me some." Arif is grinning, from ear to ear over all of this. He thinks, 'They have somehow managed to pull themselves together into a true family bond. I think they will make it just fine going forward.'
'V' considers something and grabs her holophone. 'V', "Mr. Mayor." Mayor Perales, "Nothing going wrong, I hope?" 'V', "No, everything is going very well. I have concluded the interview, at least this part of it anyway. I thought to call and ask if we might bring him along for dinner?" Mayor Perales, "Let me check with Elizabeth, be right back." There is a few seconds of silence, then he returns with, "She says that would be wonderful, I was not so certain, but she says not to judge him by Gillian and the rest of the network, so go ahead." 'V', "Thank you, Mr. Mayor." Mayor Perales. "Jefferson, please, when it is not official business and not in public, call me by my first name." 'V', "As you wish, see you in about an hour, Jefferson. And please tell Timmy, I will be bringing ice cream." Jefferson, "I will. What kind are you bringing?" 'V', That is going to be a surprise, I know of a small ice cream shop just across the river, on the edge of City Center." Jefferson, "I know the place, has some of the best ice cream in the city. Flavors you cannot find anywhere else. This is going to be a dinner to remember. See you when you get here." As 'V' hangs up on the call, it rings. She answers to find it is Panam. "'V', "Am I glad I got you." 'V' What is the problem, something happen?"
Panam, "It is about that damn 'Biotechnica deal'." 'V', I understood it was on hold." Panam, "I thought the same, but I think they were the ones to put the pressure on to finish it. Anyway I thought to let you know just in case." 'V', "I understand, listen when are they expecting to conclude negotiations?" Panam, "Day after tomorrow, They made it known that it was 'do or die' for this deal, and I do not know how to stop it. I thought you might know a way." 'V', "I do. But I do not want to talk about it on an open line. I will come out there tomorrow, and I will be bringing some things with me that both of you need to examine." Panam, "What kind of things if I may ask." 'V', "Communications shards, conversations that will tell you in no uncertain terms who and what you are dealing with when it comes to Biotechnica. I have had dealings concerning them myself, that I will add to the mix. I can also offer an alternative that I think you will find more attractive." Panam, "I certainly hope so." 'V', "Panam, this is for family and clan, maybe even higher up, to nation. So whatever you do, do not sign anything until we can talk. Afterward you can do whatever you want, just hear me out first. If Saul gives you any trouble, tell him I am asking as an Aldecaldo, for the overall good of the clan." Panam, "Whew, thanks for that 'V', maybe he will listen then. I got to go, see you tomorrow." 'V', "Tomorrow, Panam, Count on it."
Arif, "Something that I can help with?" 'V', "I do not know. I am adopted into the local family of the Aldecaldo clan. The head of the family, Saul Bright, has gotten it into his stubborn head that it is a good idea to enter into a deal with Biotechnica. I do not know the details of it, but I do know it is a very bad idea. The deal is expected to close day after tomorrow, so I have until then to put this to bed and see it buried in a landfill. If he goes through with this it could cripple the family badly enough it may not survive. I have not been a part of them for long, but they risked everything to help me out of a very bad situation, now it is my turn to repay the debt even if I have to find a way to overrule Saul. That kind of betrayal could get me exiled, but I cannot stand by and let him make such a huge mistake. They are my family, they went to bat for me against overwhelming odds, a handful died to help me. I cannot ignore my responsibility in the face of that, even if it does get me exiled. The clan is more important than an individual but it must wait until tomorrow for me to deal with."
Arif, "You know things about Biotechnica, things they would want buried, don't you?" 'V', "Yes, I do, and Biotechnica is not the only one." Arif, "Then take me with you tomorrow, as a friend and a media journalist. I doubt my word would mean anything to them but to Biotechnica, that is a completely different situation." 'V', "Let me think about it. We will talk later tonight about it and I will decide what to do." Arif, "Good enough." 'V', "Get yourself something to drink, I need to make a call to someone who maybe can advise me on how to do this." Arif steps away to talk to Brendan about what else he can make, while 'V' places a call to Dakota. The holophone rings for a few times then Dakota picks up, "'V', What is going on in your life now, 'Sister'?" 'V', "I need advice." Dakota, "Since you are asking me and not someone else it must involve the Aldecaldo clan in general and Saul in particular, or Panam." 'V' goes on and explains why she called. Dakota, "You were wise to call me first before barreling through there like a runaway truck. You are aware of their financial situation?" 'V', I know it is bad, but I am not privy to details. I am not complaining about it, but now I am a member of the clan, and I see this turning out horrendous for the clan, possibly bad enough that it cannot survive. I am willing to put the clan above my own wellbeing, even if I am exiled for it. The clan's needs are more important than my own." Dakota, "What is it you want to do?" 'V', "Kill this Biotechnica deal and make the clan an offer of my own. One I believe to be more in keeping with the spirit of this clan." Dakota, "Do you have time to tell me everything on this call?" 'V', "I have no choice, I must go out there and make my offer tomorrow." 'V' goes on and explains just what it is that she wants to put in the offer for the clan. How it ties in to what she is doing for Night City's people and so letting the Aldecaldos expand her 'home' company's products beyond the local area, using their contacts to send the products all across the country. Stressing it will involve using the smuggling routes to keep the Megacorps from interfering with the shipments. There is more to come, but it must wait until other events fall into place, then they will be ready to hear her.
Dakota, "You are truly an Aldecaldo in your heart and soul. I can see your desire to further your clan in all that you are doing, even if you must live away from them. They have touched you deeply, as I have heard you have touched them as well. Your knowledge of Biotechnica's dealings go beyond even what I suspected. And I agree with your decision to intervene, even though Saul will not see it that way. But you are indeed putting the clan ahead of yourself, and you do not take that responsibility lightly. You believe the Clan's future rests with this decision, with the direction it takes for or against Biotechnica. I cannot fault your logic or your belief. I will help you in this, for you wish to help all those who live here, Nomad or not. And this is a very good thing. It makes me proud to call you, 'Sister'. Stop by on your way there and I will go with you. I also think bringing Arif will be good in the end. Perhaps a bit rocky, but sometimes that is needed to open eyes that do not wish to see the truth in front of them." 'V', Thank you Dakota, 'Sister'. I will see you tomorrow, then."
They stop at the ice cream shop on the way to the Perales penthouse. All of them are curious as to what flavors are available. As they walk in the proprietor sees 'V' and smiles. What can I get for you tonight? The 'Blueberry Crunch', or perhaps the 'Orange Marmalade'?" 'V', "Damn do you have to make the decision so difficult? But we are on our way to dinner with the Mayor and his wife, so I need something special. My newly adopted son will be there as well and since I promised him ice cream for desert, it really needs to be something he as well as the rest of us would enjoy." The proprietor gives it some thought, looks down at what he has in the refrigerated display case and, "I have just the flavor for you. The name is a bit strange, but the flavor...it is truly special." 'V', "What is it called?" Proprietor, "It is called 'Brown Butter Bourbon Truffle'. 'V', "That is quite the mouthful." Proprietor, "Isn't it though." He takes a small scoop and places a sample on a simple flat wooden spoon. "Here try it and see if you like it." 'V' places the sample on her tongue, as it melts and the flavor comes out, "Oh sweet mother, this is awesome, so smooth, full of flavor, just a 'note' of bourbon flavor, enough to give just a taste and blend with the other flavors. I will take...oh, let me see, do you have two gallons available?" Proprietor, "For you, I have as much as you want." 'V', "Don't tell me that, I will buy out your shop...Oh, I almost forgot I am doing that already. But I will take the two gallons, what does not get eaten is going home with me. I do not remember ever tasting anything that smooth and decadent."
Judy, "You are buying out the shop?" 'V', "Rather I am buying up his 'debt' then restructuring it so that he can stay in business. He was about to be foreclosed on when I first walked in. I was so impressed that I offered to him to buy up the debt, and as I said, restructure it. The Megacorps are making a killing, setting up these small businesses, then yanking the rug out from under them. I have seen it time and time again. Some of the owners..., well they did not take it too well. I was only sorry I got there too late to stop the bloodshed. Even though it was mainly the Corporate Sharks that took the brunt, it sealed the fate of the owners, so that there was no way to rescue them. Now I am trying to find them before it gets that far and buy up the debt through a third party, get it assigned to me, and then rework it so they can stay afloat and working for themselves. Eventually we will be able to supply them the raw materials they need at affordable prices so the Corps cannot strip them that way." Judy, "So that is what you are using that new material procedure for." 'V', "Starting out, yes. We have to crawl before we can walk, and then run. But we do need to keep quiet on how and why we are doing this. If the Corps get wind of it too soon..." Judy, "They will not sell the debt, but hold onto it and liquidate it instead." 'V', "Precisely. It will not be too long before we can help the small businesses get started without their having to go through the Corporate Banks. The business owners win and so do we." Judy, "And the Corporations are locked out of that money grab."
'V', "Now you see what I have been up to these past few months , getting this put into place and working." Rita, "So that's what you have been doing with the revenues from the Fourth Wall, putting the profits back into the hands of the people of the city." 'V', "As I said, as they grow their businesses, and we are able to put more money into the their pockets to help them, we grow as well." So Mi, "And when the Megacorps find out what is happening, and they start trying to use the gangs to strongarm the businesses, they will no longer be able to use the NCPD and the Courts, because you have already cleaned out the rot in them. I knew you were smart, but to pull this off and keep them from seeing it." 'V', "We still have a ways to go, but we are on the path now, as more and more come to stand with us. The Megacorps will have no recourse but to move out because their businesses here will suck up their money without any return. Arif, "So when they do leave, what happens to their real estate?" 'V', "Our 'home' companies will need the space by then. And we will begin shifting operations to the surrounding areas first, then across the NUSA." Arif, "That's why you want the Nomads on board, they will be your distribution system to the rest of the NUSA." 'V', "Yes, with their Clans, spread all across the continent, some stationary, some moving, they have the means to long haul move and then to warehouse for local distribution." Arif, "But what of the hard core roamers, some day things will settle down. What happens to them then?" 'V', "They will have the opportunity to truly expand their horizons." So Mi, "You intend to give them the stars! Build them ships and send them out to establish trade among the different worlds. But won't there be already established trade lanes?" 'V', "There is more than enough room, places to explore, trade to be built. The Nomads are exactly that, nomads, wanderers, always looking for the next horizon. And out there those horizons are nearly limitless." Proprietor, "And so from the smallest, most simple of efforts, the greatest dreams are brought into reality. I am glad to do my part. Your ice cream is ready."
They all walk up to the building elevator and rise to the penthouse. Elizabeth meets them and escorts them to the living area while the final touches on dinner are made. 'V' hands over the ice cream and they all gather in the living area. Elizabeth comes over and "Timmy wants you to see something we bought today. I want you to know he picked it out and want your honest opinion of his choice." She goes into the next room and escorts Timmy into the living area. 'V' gets a good look at Timmy and her jaw tries hard to drop to the floor. She looks over the entire outfit that he chose for himself. She rises from the couch, walks over to him, holds her hands out to him and asks, "May I have this dance, man of my dreams?" As they start to glide across the floor, Elizabeth puts on a slow waltz-like tune, and smiles as 'V' and Timmy dance. Some seconds later, Jefferson hearing the music steps out of his private office to see what was going on. As he sees 'V' and Timmy, he is reminded of own past as he goes to Elizabeth and asks her to dance with him. When the music trails off, a 'ping' comes from the kitchen. Elizabeth looks to Jefferson, "Just in time, you can help me get this to the table and we will all eat."
They all sit, and Elizabeth asks 'V' if she would recite a blessing from her past before they eat. She looks into her old memories, as she stands holding up a piece of home made bread, she recites, "Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha’olam hamotzi lehem min ha’aretz." Taking a glass of the wine that had just been poured, she again recites, "Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha’olam borei p’ri hagafen." And then she spreads her hands to encompass the table and recites, "Barukh ata Adonai Eloheinu melekh ha’olam shehakol niyah bidvaro." Her voice quivering with remembered emotions as her parents would go through this ritual at their own table, a tear slides down her face. So Mi sitting on her right, stands, reaches with a single finger to catch the tear. She takes it and places it on her tongue, sharing the emotions 'V' is feeling, she gently asks a question. "Will you teach me to give that blessing when we are eating at home?" 'V' turns to look at her, smiles, and wraps her arms around So Mi, saying, "I would be honored to teach them to you." Jefferson closes with an 'Amen', while Timmy lets out a 'Let's eat!" eliciting laughter from everyone."
Dinner is done, the conversation light, neither 'V' or Jefferson allowing 'talking shop' to interfere in this gathering of friends. Everyone is enjoying the evening, wondering how many others are enjoying the same time, too few they think, but that could change, yes, that could indeed change. The conversation turns to the dance that occurred earlier. So Mi comments to 'V', "I had no idea you could dance like that." 'V', "Mom and dad would put a stack of old vinyl records on a old player and dance till it was all done. Dad taught me when I first asked what they were doing." So Mi, "You learned well and never forgot." Rita, "Just wait until the 'rave' this weekend and I get her on top of that table, then you will really see her dance." Elizabeth starts top ask 'V' what Rita meant when she sees the deep red blush come over 'V's face, then decides to ask later, more privately.
'V' wakes the next morning, looks to a sleeping So Mi, wondering what her life would have been like if she had not returned. Then she decides 'It does not matter, she came 'home' to me, and that is all that does matter." She leans over and gives her a light kiss, So Mi half turns and sinks back into deeper sleep, her dreams revolving around her times with 'V' since she returned. 'V' rouses herself, 'Must get up, take a shower, gather what I am taking to the meeting, God, I hope this goes well.' The water is hot, sluicing its way down her body. As it somehow brings back the memory of that dive to Laguna Bend with Judy, and what happened later that night, along with the next morning when Judy asked her the question, that 'V's answer swung Judy over the edge and into 'love' with 'V'. "Want some company?" 'V' turns to see who asked and sees both Judy and Rita. 'V' motions for them to join her as Rita asks, "Which one of us?" 'V', "Both of you, I am not leaving one out when both of you are here." They finish undressing, not a lot left after their night together, and they join 'V' in the hot water. The rising heat causing the mirror to steam over.
Before leaving, 'V' pulls her Aldecaldo jacket out of the closet, lays it in the nearby chair. She goes to her 'shrine', and places herself on her knees before the little 'temple'. Is it her imagination or can she see little shrubs, and a walkway in front of it. She bows her head and stills her mind. She drinks in the images of the four prime elements, speaking her desire for peace and tranquility in her heart and soul, for strength of mind to do what is required of her to secure the future, for the discernment to weight both sides of the issues that are certain to come up and to make the right decisions. And finally she asks for the knowledge to know when she is right and when she is wrong, to guide her inner self into 'balance' and let her outer actions reflect her inner balance. That all will see the strength of her devotion to the 'Great Balance' and its path that she has chosen for her own. She can feel the change within herself as she rises. Sharper, she senses the frail air currents that barely move, like the day is waiting for the momentous events that are to make their way into everyone's life today.
She feels one thing left to do before leaving. She walks out to the pool area, off in a shady corner is a another 'shrine', but of a wholly different nature. She kneels before it, instead of a temple there is a cemetery with a mausoleum behind the gravestones. She gently breathes over the shrine, whispering words taught to her by the spirit to whom it depicts his domain. "Mwen mande Baron Samedi pou l tande priyè enb mwen an. Mwen ba ou lafimen ki chofe souf ou. Pran li byen fon nan tèt ou epi konnen pwofondè devosyon mwen an. Pran sant bwason ou renmen anpil la, kite l pote lajwa ak ri nan vwa w. Gade sou mwen pandan m ap ale nan travay mwen jodi a, di pawòl ki pral frape gwo twou san fon ak klè dout. Kite vwa mwen montre fòs ou ak sajès ou, pou yo chwazi wout la nan lavni ki pral pote nouvo lavi nan yon granmoun."
She then lights a 'Cuban' cigar, takes a deep pull on it and breathes it onto the shrine. Some would simply wave it over a shrine, but somehow she feels this way is more personal to 'him'. Creating a deeper connection, she feels a sense of movement within her, something stirring at the back of her mind. Twice more does she breathe the cigar smoke over the 'Veve' image. Then she opens a new bottle of an aged rum. She upends the bottle and fills her mouth, then sprays it over the shrine. Again three times she does this, before performing one last obeisance. One intensely personal, she takes a little rum and pours it in one hand, then breathes cigar smoke into the rum in her hand. She then swallows it, kissing the wet palm and placing it against the shrine face. As she draws her hand away, she notices that it is dry, with no hint of the scent of either rum or cigar smoke. She smiles and bows once more, before rising she places the cigar where the breeze will blow the smoke against the shrine, and in a shallow bowl she pours some rum and places it in front of the shrine.
She picks up Arif from the N54 News building. As he settles himself in the vehicle, he comments, "I did not know that you and Bes Isis knew each other. She said your help on her Swedenborg project was extremely valuable, that she could not have gotten that Pulitzer Prize without it." 'V', All I will say is that it entailed my driving all over Night City and the surrounding areas, climbing to the top of some tall buildings, a water tower, traced a pirate data signal all the way to Pacifica. As to what I found, if you ask nicely, I will take you there and you can see it for yourself. I promise it is worth the trip, Right now we have to pick up Dakota." Arif, "She is coming with us? I have heard she is also a Nomad, but ..." 'V', "There are roaming clans and stationary clans. They are all a part of the Nomads, and as such they look out for each other. That is why she is coming along. It is part of her job to look after all clans in her area. Help them with whatever they need. I have spoken to her of the Biotechnica deal and she is just as concerned about it as I am. I hope that her presence will lend weight to my argument. For now keep watch for any Wraiths."
Things are quiet when they pull into Dakota's main base. She is waiting for them standing outside the garage that also serves as her office. Once she gets in, her first question is, "Seen any Wraiths about?" 'V', "No, not a single one. And that worries me." Dakota, Me as well. Let us get there as quickly as we can, but safely. I saw you drive in that race that held one of its races out here." 'V', "Not my best showing, but when there are no rules, you have to get as down and dirty as the others do." Dakota, "You are not the type that seeks such an adrenaline high. What got you involved?" 'V', "A job." Dakota nods her head, "I understand, I will say no more." Arif, "You took a job that required you to participate in the 'City Race'?"
'V', "I will say this once and no more, I was driving for someone who lost her husband in a previous race. Since there is no 'law' in these races, there is no 'justice' unless you seek it yourself. She needed someone that would see it to the end. Who did not care about winning the race, but completing the job." She got the 'justice' she wanted, and now has no desire to ever race again. So she gave me her vehicle and its sits in my garage, waiting for a time when it might be needed once again. It is not the only one like that. Do remember any stories about someone called the 'Murk Man'?" Arif, "I vaguely remember something. Went around taking down criminals in revenge for the killing of his parents. Then he just disappeared and no one heard any more, why?" 'V', "I found his vehicle in a shipping container buried in the caves under the power station. There was also living quarters setup there. His ride was a matte black Rayfield Caliburn. He had it modified and tweaked until it could almost scream on the road or the streets. Not as good as a Semimaru, but pretty damn close. Got one of those too."
Arif, "How much money did you make as a merc? Forget I asked." 'V', "Enough to afford buying that Penthouse, that I, So Mi, Judy, Rita, and now Timmy are living in. Enough that I can live comfortably with what the city is paying me. When you are a merc, and your reputation and pay are based on not only getting the job done, but doing it how the client wants it done, either loud as a 'car race' or as quiet as a 'ghost', the sky is the limit on what you can earn. But you had better be as good as your rep says you are, for you are going to get the jobs no one else can do." Arif, "Wait! You mean you are the one they call..." 'V's hand closes over Arif mouth, "No! If it got out that you knew or if some people just thought you knew who that person is, there is no way even I could protect you." Arif, "I am sorry, you are quite right. The answer to that question has already cost some people their lives." Dakota, "That is regrettable, but we, the Fixers got together and put a stop to that. We said that 'we' and only 'we' knew who the 'Ghost' was. And if someone forced any of 'us' to speak they would be 'blacklisted' for their entire life. No fixer would accept business from them or anyone affiliated with them. Every Fixer on this world signed on to that post.
They do not know who the 'Ghost' is, but all of us who are Fixers, live and work by a code. It is the only way we can get business done across city, state, and country borders. All will support the others, no matter who our clients are. None of us will reveal our clients, and none will reveal who the 'Ghost' is. The identity of the 'Ghost' is the most inviolate secret that now exists. Only the' Ghost' can reveal their identity, and we expect that they will take that secret to their grave. But the legend of the 'Ghost' will be one to stand above all others. When the ones now called legends are forgotten or used to frighten children into going to bed, the 'Legend of the Ghost' will live on. The stories will grow taller, jobs will be laid at the 'Ghost's' feet that they were never involved in, but the people will believe, because they need to believe in someone who beat the system." Arif, "You speak as if the 'Ghost ' is gone, dead, or retired." Dakota, "The 'Ghost' is alive and well, gone to ground, to work on tasks that only they can do. Tasks that involve the most dangerous of places, people, and events. The 'Ghost' works for the good of the people, and as they are beginning to see the results, they stand with the 'Ghost'. Valerie works for the 'Ghost', in fact, is one of the 'Ghost's' top agents. But they have never met and for their protection, never will." Arif, "I see. I apologize for my mistake." 'V', "It is understandable, my outputs do not even know this about me, so please do not mention it."
They arrive at the Aldecaldo camp, people are moving here and there, some working on tasks, others watching the perimeter, children are playing where they can be out of the adults way. They get out and as Arif walks to see everything, 'V' hangs back a second to speak to Dakota. 'V', "Thank you for deflecting him." Dakota, "No problem. Just be a little more circumspect about your phrasing. Anyone else would probably not have picked up on it, but Arif is a newshound at heart. His instincts are strong, not like the rest of them. 'V', "What of Bes Isis?" Dakota, "You know her, don't you? She is different, for this is a second career for her. She does this for she enjoys it, but it does not drive her." 'V', "I would say that is quite accurate." Dakota, "There is something different about you from what I remember what you were like when we first met. You are more 'grounded', more in tune with your surroundings. You see the 'balance' of everything around you more clearly." 'V' takes a moment to feel how much she should reveal.
'V', "I have a 'business partner' now. She took me aside and taught me what she calls, the 'Way of Balance'. It...has made me see things in a new light. I was already a short way on that path, she took me much farther. At first I thought it like any religion, but I soon found it to be much more. Now I see it as a way of living, balancing everything within me and then with everything outside of me. I have found it is my true path. When my body, mind, and soul are in balance and I extend that to be in tune with all that is outside of me, then I see how to change things that we survive the trouble that comes. We can overcome it, do what needs to be done with it, and then go on to be what we can be. Then, maybe, if the powers that be judge us worthy, we will take the 'Way' and share it among the stars. But first we have two great battles to overcome." Dakota, "You have been shown great and dire things. Are you like a shaman of old to have seen this? Long, long ago, they spoke as you do, of the things you speak of." 'V', "I am not able to answer that, perhaps time will tell if I travel that path." Dakota, "I think you are, for when they were asked as I have asked you, they would say much as you have. Their vision was not on themselves to see that answer but rather on what was coming, so as to guide their people."
Mitch, "Sister, how have you been since last you were here?" 'V' goes to him as he approaches and pulls him into a hug, "I have so missed you, Mitch. But I have been very busy." Mitch, "Too busy to drop by and drink a beer with a friend?" "V', "Mitch, I am now the 'Chief of Security Operations' for Mayor Perales, I also have three outputs to care for." Mitch, "You know Panam will be heartbroken?" 'V', "Mitch, Panam does not swing that way and you know it." Mitch, "Yeah, I do, but if she did, you would have been the one she would hook up with." Panam, "Now what is Mitch bending your ear about now?" 'V', "I was about to tell him about my adopting a boy from Dogtown." Mitch, "You adopted a kid? It seems I have underestimated you, you have been busy. But good on you, if I do not miss my bet, he was in a bad way." 'V', "He had just lost his dad, shot by Dogtown Barghests while he tried to protect him from them." Panam, "What interest could they have for a little boy?" 'V', "He was enrolled in a sports training center where I had to infiltrate and do a job. I met him inside, before I found the 'doctor' in charge. She did not want to 'play ball' with me, tried to use Timmy's case as leverage for me to accept a lesser amount of the information I was after. She had no idea I had already saw their evaluation of him and so I knew she was lying through her teeth. She told me she would place him on a team, but their evaluation said he was totally unsuitable. He was to be sent back home."
Panam, "That was not so bad, or was it?" 'V', "As he grew, he would outgrow the implants they put in him. His father could barely make ends meet, as he ran a clothing store in the Petrochem Stadium. Timmy was in for a very short, very painful life. Fiona's life was however, only short. I was coming out from a rescue job when I heard him being chased and shot at by the Barghests. I got him to remember me and change his direction so I could intercept him. I grabbed him and went back to my people, waiting in hiding for me to settle the situation. I did just that when they would not back off." Mitch, "At least now he is with someone who can take care of him, lucky kid." 'V', "Yes, now I am going to find the rest that they sent home, and try to get them the medical care they are going to need." Panam, "That is going to be expensive. Can you afford it?" 'V', "I have been very successful in my career as a merc. I have more money than I know what to do with it. So I am going to see that it goes where it is needed most. As for my 'Aldecaldo' family, I have something far more valuable than 'eddies' to give back for 'adopting me' into your family." Panam, "I hope you are right about that, I really do." 'V' stops and looks around, catching just the faintest trace of unrest looking for a place to strike. Dakota, "What is it, Sister? What do you sense?" 'V', "We need to get this show on the road, trouble is building, what, where, I do not know right now. But it is searching for a place to strike and we should be ready for when it does." Panam, "Right, Saul knows that you are coming, and why. He is in a foul mood about it, so take that into account when you speak to him."
'V', "I will, he will not like it either way but I will not be the one to provoke." They walk through the camp with many of the people greeting her and wishing her luck. It seems they know exactly what this is about, and would side with her. But it is hard to go against the head of the family, and even when the matter could decide the direction the clan goes in, they will look to see who has the guts to stand up. As they stop at the common tent, 'V' draws in her breath and opens the tent flap and enters, Dakota along with her. It was decided for Arif to stand outside since he has no standing within the clan and there is no need to further antagonize Saul. Saul, "Where is your other companion?" 'V', "This is a family matter, and he has no standing in the family, so I asked him to remain outside." Saul, "Well at least you remember that much of our protocol." 'V', "What I am doing here today is also within the protocol." Saul, "Is it?" 'V', "Yes, it is." Saul, "Very well, but why is Dakota here, could not face me alone?" Dakota starts to speak for herself when 'V' lays a hand on her arm. As Dakota, looks to her, she shakes her head, then turns to Saul, "What I have to say will affect all the families, clans, and nations of the Nomads. Hence she has the right to hear it. The matter with Biotechnica is but the first step in a complex scheme. Even they and the other Megacorps do not see this is but a distraction from the real trouble, but this is the issue before us and so we must deal with it first. I do not expect you to listen to my words alone, so I brought evidence of who and what Biotechnica is. The evidence of what they have done over the years and more recently." She places the bag of shards on the table. 'V', These are data shards I acquired as a part of the jobs I undertook as a Merc in Night City. They lay out just what this corporation has been involved in for some time. Until now these have been 'swept under the rug' by the corruptness within the NCPD. I have since cut out the 'rot' so that healing may begin. If you would, examine the shards, listen to what they say about Biotechnica. But before you do that, know that I am not here to 'kill' this deal without being able and ready to offer an alternative. One I believe better suited to the Nomad way of life." Saul considers a moment before, "Are you finished?" 'V', "For now, yes."
It takes the better part of an hour for Saul to go through the shards and it is obvious he does not like what is on them. But is it enough to change his mind on this deal? Saul, "The information on these shards is quite disturbing, but before I can make a decision I need to hear your offer. Are you ready to pitch it to me? And I expect you can back up your words with evidence?" 'V' starts to put her offer out to him, and then her senses scream 'trouble' to her. She holds up a hand to him. Saul, What is the matter?" Dakota, "Sister! What do you sense?" 'V' rises, "Wraiths! Wraiths are about to attack the camp!" Saul, "What?! There have been no sign of any Wraiths any where near to..." The call from the Camp guards rings out, "WRAITHS! Wraiths are approaching. Every able bodied person grab your gun!" Saul, "Shit! Why now?" 'V', "They got wind of your meeting with Biotechnica and are out to crash and stop it. They don't want anything like that to go through, but right now my only thought is defending my family!" Saul, "You are sure we are still your family?" 'V', "We will discuss that after the fight. For now they attack my family and NO ONE FUCKS WITH MY FAMILY!"
The tent flap is jerked back and Panam sticks her head in, "Boy am I glad to hear someone say that. What did you have in mind?" 'V' pulls her holophone and direct calls the guard detail watching the perimeter. Captain Jonas, "Captain Jonas here, awaiting orders, my Lady." 'V', "Can you see them?" Captain Jonas, "Yes, My Lady. They are sitting back about two hundred yards for now, placed in the cover of rocks and brush." 'V', "Pull back as far as you can and still remain in cover. I am calling Reaper to prepare more troops to drop behind them, then we crush them between us." Dakota come up and says, "Sister, remember the balance of the ecology. They have their place here too." 'V', "This is not the mass of them by any stretch. These came here for the express purpose of decimating this camp so as to stop any deal with Biotechnica from going through. It is my responsibility to my family and my clan to protect them with every drop of my blood, every breath in my lungs, and that is what I am going to do."
Mitch comes striding up with a large footlocker in his wide spread grasp. Mitch, "Here is the footlocker you asked me to bring from your vehicle if something happened. I assumed this qualifies?" 'V', Yes it does." As she kneels to open it, Panam runs up, "Damn I wish I had Mitch's old 'Grad' here right now." 'V' continues to open the locker and pulls out the Tsunami Rasetsu sniper rifle out. 'V', "Here, try this out." Mitch sees it and whistles, "I have heard of these, they are supposed to be absolute beasts." 'V', "Yes, they live up to their reputation in the right hands." She hands it to Panam, "Don't fall in love with it. I want it back." 'Panam, "What are you using?" 'V' pulls out her power shotgun. "Mitch spies it and, "Oh my God, is that what I think it is? Where in hell did you dig that up from?" 'V', "Trust me, you do not want to know." Panam, "What is so snazzy about it?" Mitch, "It fires four projectiles at a time, all explosive rounds. the targeting system is as sensitive as it gets. Once targeted they will get hit, and then you have to scoop up the remains with a shovel and bucket." Panam, "You are kidding me aren't you?" 'V', "Nope, he is absolutely correct." Panam, "And Max-Tac lets you loose with that?"
'V', "Hell. they love to see me in action with it. They say it is the poetry of mutilation, dismemberment, and extreme destruction in motion. They especially love when I can fire, reload, and fire again, all in mid-air. Besides, with what you are holding in your hands, a headshot will explode the head, hit them in the shoulder and the arm gets blown off, hit the hip, and a leg gets left behind, put a round in the center mass and you can put a foot through the hole and not get it bloody." Mitch, "Hey, Panam, if you don't want to use it, hand it over." Panam, "Like hell I will!" 'V', "Find the tallest vantage point and you will rule the battlefield." Panam, "Now you are talking my language." Mitch looks through the rest in the locker, "Damn, 'V', everything in here is an 'Iconic', where did you find them all." 'V', "One day I will let you know. But it did take some luck and a lot of searching. A few, all I could find were schematics, so I made my own. Right now, I am working toward something that will put my entire collection to shame." Mitch, "What could that be?" 'V', whispers in his ear as his face goes into shock. Mitch, "You have got to be kidding me. You are kidding me, right?" 'V', "Nope, hunting all the parts in my spare time. Close now to putting it all together. Found the plans in a deep bunker beneath Dogtown. Hell getting in there and worse getting out. But for this 'baby' it will be worth it." Mitch, "But why would you want something like that?" 'V', her face serious as death, "There is coming a time when it will take a weapon like that to survive against what will walk the streets.
You know of the 'Blue-Eyed Men'?" Mitch, "You are telling me they are real?" 'V' "Yes, they are. I have faced off against the low level ones. It took a whole bag of EMP nades going off all at once right at their feet to let me get past their force shielding. Then I took no chances and blanketed them with WP rounds." Panam, "WP rounds? What are those?" Mitch, "White phosphorous, once it starts burning almost nothing will stop it." 'V', Next batch I make, I am adding thermite." Panam, "What will that do?" Mitch, "Some truly unholy fireworks. Water vapor in the air to ignite the WP, then that will ignite the thermite. You really don't like them do you?" 'V', "They are nothing but AI meat puppets, no mind left at all, just a shell for a small bit of an AI to inhabit." Mitch's face pales, "That is what we are facing?" 'V', "Not yet, they are not ready, the Blackwall is still intact and is being strengthened, so they are looking for ways to go around it. Soon they will find what they seek, and when they do. They will launch a diversion, when all eyes are on the diversion, they will make their move."
Mitch, "The diversion they want, another Corporate War, right?" 'V', "Yes, this one between Arasaka and Militec. Which will bring Myers into the fight. That is why she is in Night City, trying to gauge if she can get support from Mayor Perales." Mitch, "Tell me you have pulled the rug out from under that?" 'V', "I have at that. It is my intention that Night City stay free and neutral, not taking part in it, except to defend ourselves. The Mayor knows this and why I feel that way. He agrees, it is best for us all to stay out of it." Mitch, "You do not know how glad that makes me feel to hear that. If Night City can stay out of it, there is a good chance we can as well." 'V', "You should know, Arasaka is the one engineering this war. They are using some of the gangs, to carry out raids on their own buildings, kill their own people, then leave Militec gear, vehicles, whatever else they can to let them point the finger at Militec. Militec is not stupid, they know this is going on, but their top brass are being brainwashed into letting this happen." Mitch, "Brainwashed? How?" 'V', "UHF signaling, no one suspects it, scans for it, it never enters anyone's mind it could be being used for this purpose. But it all fits together when you connect enough dots." Mitch, "If no one else says this, I will, thanks, 'V', for caring, and getting the word out." 'V', "I owe it to one who came before me. Gary the street preacher in Kabuki. He spoke of this before anyone else suspected. But because he had to speak in mythic allegory, almost all who heard him passed off his words as those of a raving lunatic. It took time even for me to pierce his allegory and see the truth in his words. By then it was too late and he was taken. Now, his spot is empty and silent. But I swear his memory will not be silent. I will take up his fight, even as I do so my way." Mitch, "How are we going to do this? " 'V', "Where is Saul? He should be here directing his people in defending the camp." Mitch, "I do not know where he is. All I know is that it is you who have stepped up and taken control. Don't worry where this will lead, do what you know is right and everything else will fall into place." 'V', "You are right, thank you, Mitch. Now let us start this show!"
'V' goes to the west perimeter and uses her heightened senses to 'see' where the Wraiths are. There, they have chosen to let the terrain determine their path. Under other circumstances this would be wise and would work to their advantage. But this situation is not normal and so it will lead to their demise. Before she can wonder how she can now do this, she mindspeaks the Guard Captain, 'Keep your men down, when you see me start this show, give it all you have. Do not worry about me, I will be alright.' She then jumps up high, slightly angling herself westward. At the height of her jump, she jumps again, and again, each time gaining altitude. The Nomads wonder what she is doing and why, but figure they will see soon. She rises about a thousand feet into the air, she then dives to gain as much downward velocity in as short a time as she can. Flipping herself to land on her feet, when she does the potential energy in her dive is converted to kinetic, which rolls out from her in a circle. Boulders are upset and roll crushing those wraiths who hid in their shadow. Others are caught up and thrown to slam into the hard ground, breaking bones, spraining joints, dislocating bones. As she pumps her shotgun, she leaps once more this time air-dashing and firing blasts as she goes, reloading while in the air. Panam sights Wraith after Wraith who tries to target 'V', each silent shot deals explosive death. The Dovahkiin's guard are as good as their reputation, picking off any Wraith whose head shows. The Nomads are also effective in their efforts to either kill the Wraiths or force them to move and thus expose themselves.
When the battle is over, the landscape on the west side of the camp is a quagmire of bloody mud and body parts, splashed up on the boulders, already attracting the attention of the local vermin and vultures. 'V' hears the cheering of her family, but she herself has other feelings coursing through her. Dakota senses this and goes to her standing on a clean boulder top looking out at the red wasteland. Dakota, "You feel the joy and admiration of your family, yet you do not share in it. Now I see why, you see the bigger picture, this strike was not only against your family but against humankind as well. As we destroy each other, our hidden enemies will gain from it, and this worries you and rightly so. What will you do going on from here?" 'V', "Restore the 'balance' that was harmed here. It will take a little time, but it can be done. The Wraiths were not damaged beyond recovery, but this has decimated their defenses, making them vulnerable. Since this was my doing, it is up to me to repair the damage. But I cannot do so openly, I must do this silently and hidden. I will see what I can do from a distance, if needed I can use proxies to act in my stead." Dakota, "You have grown wise in the ways of these lands. I also see you intend to teach those ways by example to the city and its people." 'V', "And in this way begin what needs to happen to change the course this world follows. To ensure not only its survival, but its greatness. And to follow that path out there," 'V' points with an outstretched finger, hand, and arm up into the sky, "there, beyond the stars we see in the night skies. There does our destiny lie. With the solar winds at our backs, guiding us to what awaits us at the end of our journey."
Dakota, "You have seen what lies at the end for us?" 'V' is silent, but stretches out a hand to Dakota. who takes it into one of her own. Immediately they are transported into a vision going on in 'V's head. They see a single star, nearby flickering its last before dying. In its feeble light they see a metallic sphere beyond massive. Dakota, "I cannot believe my eyes, this is a Dyson Sphere, but what could be inside?" Another voice answers, "It is the culmination of a multi generational project, the work of over a dozen civilizations born, lived, and died on the world inside. The inner surface is the Hall of Remembrance, conceived and executed by Shai-Hulu'ud himself. Its purpose is hold the lives, memories, and deeds of she called, the Ancient Dragon Mother, my mother. Her life, and all those that in some way touched hers, who helped her, sacrificed for her, are on display within. While it was being built, visitors from all the Existences came and toured this place, to see who they owed for their survival. For it was she who brought the Existences back into 'Balance' away from its destructive slide into chaos. You see she is almost ready to leave and go into the 'Great Beyond'. With her is my second mother, Desiderius', and the other is her adopted 'sister'"
Dakota looks hard to see and recognize the 'sister'. 'V'! It is you who stands next to her! But how can it be?" Nephti, "'V' can tell you the story of how she met my mother. This is long after they left your world for the 'Far Stars', those stars never seen in telescopes, only in the minds of those who dream of them. They became the new home for the Nomad Nations as they followed 'V' and my mother. Great deeds and adventures were to be had as they sailed the Solar Winds from one to another. Building the lives that before they had only dreamed of. And always did they celebrate and bless the 'day' they believed in what 'V' spoke to them of, when she delivered on her promise to them to take them with her to her new 'home' in the 'Far Stars'" Dakota, "I remember hearing of a song speaking of those stars. A young nomad woman sings of them." Nephti, "I know of her. She sings of the dreams she has of them. Sings of the day when they will reach out and touch them, although she knows nothing of 'V' and my Mother's plans to enable that dream to come true. Seek not to find her and speak to her about it, but watch her from afar. She has gathered the attention of those who would stop such a plan. If she would be threatened, then do what you must to safeguard her, but do not speak of your plans. The time will come when she figures things out for herself. Then tell her that the 'Dragon Daughter of the Ageless Ones' said not to speak to her of your plans. Now watch what is about to occur and know you are blessed above all to see this."
Iriisii has gathered all the shards of herself left languishing in the Existences. And then she begins singing. The words are incomprehensible to Dakota and 'V', but the melody, the melody brings them both a sense of peace that has long been absent from their lives. Dakota finds herself at peace with her life, while 'V' feels her inner self discover true balance and firmly locks that memory away so it will never be forgotten. Nephti reaches out to touch 'V', "Yes, my brother, the Fount of the Balance has marked you as one of his. In service to the Great Balance, great things will be said of you, greater still will be the things you will do, and greatest of all will be your rewards." There is a sudden flash of tremendous power, and a new Existence is born from the ashes of the old ones. They watch as galaxies spin away from each other as they are spewed forth from the blazing core of energy that Iriisii is feeding with the last of her power. Then she is exhausted and the 'V' standing next to her wraps her arms around Iriisii and pulls her up to see what she has wrought. She can be heard to say, "I did it! I really did it. At long last, it is almost over, and I can continue my journey to find 'home'. The 'home' of my dreams, now that my children have found their peace, I can go in search of my own."
Nephti, "So many years ago she gave up on her dreams of 'home' to give that dream to all the others that sought it. Such a sacrifice demands to be recompensed accordingly within the Great Balance. Since it was her service to the Great Balance that led her to make that sacrifice, the Great Balance found a way to give that dream back to her, and bring it about in reality. She still has a long road ahead of her, but the 'home' that awaits her is worth every bit of the journey. As will be yours 'V'" 'V', "What?" Nephti, "For what your life will be like following my mother, your reward will be like hers. And your family will share in it with you. Now for the final act of this tale of this Existence."
As they watch, Iriisii, with 'V' on one side, and Desiderius on the other, turn toward the Final Gate. Unknown scripting of an unknown language is blazing on its surface. Iriisii gestures and the gates open, the area inside is foggy with a faint glow, a slim, almost skeletal figure waits for them inside. As they approach him, he speaks with a firm but soft voice, "Your parts in the story of this place are done. Against all odds, you did what was asked of you, no matter what you had to do, or who stood in your way. It is time to let this burden go, now it belongs to others to take up. You have more than earned the right to enter the Great Beyond, and the celebration of your victory is waiting. Those who came here ahead of you have patiently waited for you. Now it is time for you to rest a bit." Desiderius suddenly swoons as labor pains come over her. Desiderius harshly whispers, "Not now. You can wait just a bit longer can't you?" Nephti, "Yes, that is me she is going into childbirth with. Four entered the Final Gate, and five will leave it. The consternation that will cause will last for millennia. But now you must return, having seen what the path for you is to be, you still have the right of choice, to choose a different path. That will be determined by your life from now on."
Translation done with the help of Tèks tradui avèk Lingvanex.com
Comments
Post a Comment